Join now - be part of our community!

W65x: Miracast/Mirroring setup clarification?

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

W65x: Miracast/Mirroring setup clarification?

Is Screen Mirroring/Miracast supposed to be initiated or setup from the Screen Mirroring screen, or from the WiFi Direct menus? I'm unable to pair when the TV is in the Screen Mirroring screen (the one that shows "Waiting for connection from Wi-Fi device"). The initial setup does work from Network settings/WiFi Direct Settings/Manual (though I haven't managed to actually establish a video connection with a Windows 8.1 computer, but that may be due to drivers or software issues, I'm still not sure).

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not too familiar with Screen Mirroring, however have a look at this quick video and see if it helps.  If not, reply back and Ill see what I can do.

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/howto-video-one-touch-mirroring-miracast...

Cheers

hcr_hassen

Thanks. That video shows connecting with Android or with a specific Sony device. Windows 8.1 is something else entirely.

The problem is, I don't have any "known good" device so that I could try to figure who's to blame. Nor did I find so far a way to enable debugging logs of any sort on the PC.

Any idea if there's a hidden troubleshooting mode on the TV that could give more details on what's happening?

By the way, my current guess is that WiFi Direct is separate from Screen Mirroring, even if mirroring is based around WFD. I am able to get into the Screen Mirroring mode on the TV even when WiFiDirect is set to "Off" (though there's a "Preparing, please wait" when entering the screen for a second or two.) It's possible that the TV turns WiFiDirect on automatically and temporarily, but I don't think that's the case.

What could help is if Sony clarified what's the difference between these 5 connection options:

Connected Devices\Screen Mirroring
Settings\Network\Wi-Fi Direct Settings (default screen)
Settings\Network\Wi-Fi Direct Settings\Options\Manual\WPS (Push Button)\Start
Settings\Network\Wi-Fi Direct Settings\Options\Manual\Other Methods (default screen)
Settings\Network\Wi-Fi Direct Settings\Options\Manual\Other Methods\Options\WPS (PIN)\Start

In all cases I'm with "Registration Notification: On", and indeed sometimes I get a popup when the PC tries to connect (but not always). I accept. 

In the case of the various WiFiDirect options above, and on Win8.1 adding a device under "Devices and Printers":

The TV just keep on showing "Registering. Please wait...".

In the case of Screen Mirroring and the same method as above on the PC side:
TV stays a long while on "Preparing Screen mirroring. Please wait...". Ultimately says "Registration failed."
PC stays a long while on "Follow any instructions on your television. (in a window titled Add a device\Connecting to [tv name]). Ultimately says "That didn't work."

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

Try following these two links:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23528/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xND...

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11632/kw/

Use the other methods default screen, which should give you SSID and a WPA key on the TV. How the WIN 8.1 screens to connect look like, I have no idea, but it's same screen as when you first connect your PC to your router wirelessly.

Forget about WPS pin and push button, which are just alternative ways to connect.

hcr_hassen

Thanks. Most likely the problem is on the PC.

My current guesstimate about the TV is that Mirroring and WiFiDirect are separate functions. For Screen Mirroring there's only one way to connect: through Connected Devices\Screen Mirroring.

It's probably irrelevant to Miracast/mirroring, but my current guess about the 4 WFD connection options:

Wi-Fi Direct Settings (default screen) - normal WFD
Wi-Fi Direct Settings\Options\Manual\WPS (Push Button)\Start - maybe for non-WFD devices, WPS without PIN

Wi-Fi Direct Settings\Options\Manual\Other Methods\Options\WPS (PIN)\Start - as above, but with PIN
Wi-Fi Direct Settings\Options\Manual\Other Methods (default screen) - plain WiFi connection

On Win8 or 8.1 I was never able to connect to the TV like a normal WiFi network, using any of the above. I could only "add" it as a device through "Devices and Printers", though I'm yet to establish a Miracast connection.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

The WIFI-direct connection options should be a first time only exercise, if you tick the automatic conn. in WIN.

Miracast uses as far as I know WIFI-direct, but has additional requirements to your PC, - it must be Miracast certified.

I am not sure you have established the necessary WIFI-direct connection yet. Your TV will show up in devices list even without, if it's sitting on your home network.

hcr_hassen

In some cases I was able to get the TV to show as a wireless display in the Win8.1 "Project" Metro-styled menu, but connection establishment does not work.

I'm on Intel graphics and network hardware. There are quite a few discussions on their forums on similar issues, so I think it's the Intel software to blame. If there's a way to get more technical/debug info on the TV it might help with troubleshooting.

Note to future people trying to troubleshoot: there are two Project menus in Windows 8.1 (maybe 8 as well), the one that shows the TV is not Win+P, but Win+C\Devices\Project.

hcr_hassen

Has anyone got Miracast/mirroring to actually work, on the W65x or similar models, with Windows 8.1?

The following Sony article (US site) says it's only supported with Sony TX/Z/ZL phones and Z tablet. It sounds dubious, but it does make me wonder:
https://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43105/p/61659,62766,74168/c/65,67/kw/Screen%20Mirr...

I though maybe I should first see if I manage to get simple media files to show on the TV. Also that doesn't work, with two sending devices I tried.

In Windows 8.1 I'm sometimes able to add the TV as a device (inconsistently, sometimes even adding doesn't work), but the connection usually drops after a few seconds. During these few seconds I never see the "Play to" context menu entry on media files (MP3, JPG, etc.). Yet, I'm not sure what are the Windows requirements for this usage (Is DNLA related to simple sending of files in any way? UPnP? Media streaming? Microsoft Hosted Network?).

Another device I tried is a Samsung phone running Android 4.1 (S Advance/GT-i9070). Establishing a WiFiDirect connection generally works reliably (and a WFD connection icon shows in the status bar), but sending media never works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @hcr_hassen 

Normally Im a person who embraces change, however Windows 8/8.1 was just a step too far for me - I refused (even a free upgrade), so I am still using Windows 7.  I have not had the experience to really assist you on this, However I am going to compile a few resources for you that just may help.

Microsoft Website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/project-wireless-screen-miracast

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/11/12/windows-8-1-on-your-big-screen-with-miracast/

Intel Website:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034563.htm

http://www.intel.com/support/Win8.htm

YouTube Clip:

Hope these help at least.

Cheers

hcr_hassen

Thanks Quinnicus. I did scour the Intel forums these last 2 weeks. Some tidbits here and there, but nothing useful or applicable, and no mention of general troubleshooting facilities. Even less so at Microsoft's.

One thing I confirmed is that the TV can establish a connection: it worked with someone else's computer, also on Win 8.1 (but not an upgrade, and a different software configuration), also with an Intel WiFi card (but a different model), also with the same Intel graphics (but with an extra standalone graphics processor). So I learned that it can work in some cases, and I saw the procedure: after adding the TV as device in Windows the TV shows a PIN number and Windows prompts for it (I did get a similar prompt in a very specific scenario, but not the TV showing a PIN.)

Do you know perhaps how to make the service menus show up after the TV's already on? There's a "WiFi Monitor" feature that shows some info on WiFi Direct and Miracast. But entering the service menus requires turning the TV on in a specific way. The TV never starts in Miracast/Screen Mirroring mode (unlike the other  "inputs" such as HDMI or DVB), and I didn't find a way to enter the Miracast input/listen mode without dismissing the service menus.