Join now - be part of our community!

USB Storage is Restricted

Kara28M
Visitor

USB Storage is Restricted

HELP! I bought a Sandisk OTG usb (i ain't sure if i got the name right but anyway...) it was working fine before I can access my files, transfer stuff etc etc. Then i plugged it again today then now it's giving me this USB Storage is Restricted, A security policy restricts the use of USB Storage! Does this have anything to do with AVG that is already installed in this phone or nah? Tried tapping on "mount" from the regular settings, still same. I have Xperia XA Ultra
20 REPLIES 20
Jake-SonyXperia
Champion

Hi @Kara28M,

Welcome to the community,

This generally happens if something has added a security policy to the device, in most cases this would be a work email, are you using a work email on the handset?

Kara28M
Visitor

No not at all, what are the other possible causes?
Kara28M
Visitor

I disabled auto-sync data if that has anything to do with it same. Tried turning off the avg anti theft things still same. I don't want to restet this phone help plsss
Jake-SonyXperia
Champion

Did this only occur after downloading and installing AVG on the device or are you aware of any changes that have occurred since the last time you used the function?

The error message itself gives the answer, there is a security restriction on this device, and this has likely been actioned by some application on the handset that has admin rights. AVG just happens to get Admin rights upon install.

Maybe try removing AVG from the device and testing.

Let me know.

Kara28M
Visitor

AVG is already installed in this phone when I bought it... It was working fine before, probably i allowed some apps to have admin rights or whatsoever... How do I disable it? Don't want to uninstall avg tho
Rain1
Visitor

I have the same problem. What did you do to? Is your otg now working? I need a help also
RachLee
Visitor

i have the same issue. my previous phone with Android 6 version is ok. only my current phone which is updated to Android 7 has the problem. the security patch might be the issue..... it seems like a common problem that we all have. 

ArturoClavijo
Visitor

I have the same problem, pls help

NumberOneIllumi
Visitor

Same problem here, and shame on tech people for not doing proper research.

SOLUTION for me was:
I had encrypted my phone and sd card.

To my mind, the issue is sd card. The clue is "security policy".

Deactivate encryption for/on sd card, and then reboot your phone.

Then detect USB as usual.

After that (after you use your USB) you can reactivate encryption on sd card.