Join now - be part of our community!

In car USB charging: XZ auto shut down

SOLVED
Tsk362
Visitor

In car USB charging: XZ auto shut down

Hi, In car, I use an Anker charger. I've noticed when I shut the engine down, and the power to the USB charger is cut, the xz powers off.

This has happened several times now. I'd expect the phone to stay on. Possible bug...

Regards,
Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi!

I'm afraid I'm not sure what would cause this. I've tested with a Qualcomm QC3 charger here and can unfortunately can't replicate what you are experiencing.

We can only guarantee that an original charger that comes with the phone will be fully compatible with your device, afraid we can not guarantee that other chargers will be compatible with our devices as we can only test using our own accessories.

I hear what you're saying and I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, but unfortunately I will be unable to test the combination of accessories you are using as I don't have access to them here. Sorry for any trouble this may cause for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

Does this happen to everything you charge in car? or just XZ? does this happen when you charge using the wallmount adapter?

Tsk362
Visitor

Hi, thanks for your response. No, it's just the xz; the z3 I have is fine, works OK with xperia s I have also. I've just tried the Sony wall mount adapter and that's fine, and it doesn't happen with the anker multiple USB charger is use either. So just the car charger.
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi @Tsk362,

Congratulations on your new Xperia XZ!

Does the same thing occur with your Xperia XZ while charging via a computer? Meaning if you turn your computer off while charging your phone. Are you using the original USB-cable that came with the phone?

Tsk362
Visitor

Hi @Didrik and all,

No, it's fine while charging via the computer. On shut down, xz stays on. Using Anker USB and Sony USB leads

To cut to the chase and avoid the text below, it seems to be something with using quick charge 3 (isn't that a qualcomm thing?)

To recap, using Sony wall charger, Anker USB and Sony USB it's fine. As is using Anker powerport 5, that's fine.

To the in car issue (2003 Audi). I'm using a Powerdrive+ 2 with quick charge 3 (Model A2224). Using the 'IQ port', fine with anker and Sony leads; XZ stays on. Using the Quick Charge 3 port though, XZ powers off instantaneously when shutting down the engine (ignition remains on and power to the charger). This happens with both Anker and Sony leads.

Which leads me to believe that there is a) something peculiar to the charger that the xz doesn't like when it responds to a possible change in the chargers output (charger issue) or b) something peculiar to the xz that makes it respond to a change in input in the way it does (phone issue).

The behaviour doesn't happen to my z3 running stock rom or Xperia Concept Rom. Or my Xperia S which is using a custom rom (unlocked bootloader/rooted)

There are obviously (many) work arounds but doesn't resolve the initial problem. Would be great to know if it's reproducible.

I'll try a different car (for fun) to rule the car out and will update accordingly if there's a difference.

So, in summary, I reckon it's something Quick charge 3 related. Have I missed anything?
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi!

I'm afraid I'm not sure what would cause this. I've tested with a Qualcomm QC3 charger here and can unfortunately can't replicate what you are experiencing.

We can only guarantee that an original charger that comes with the phone will be fully compatible with your device, afraid we can not guarantee that other chargers will be compatible with our devices as we can only test using our own accessories.

I hear what you're saying and I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, but unfortunately I will be unable to test the combination of accessories you are using as I don't have access to them here. Sorry for any trouble this may cause for you.

Tsk362
Visitor

Hello.

Thanks for reaching out, acknowledging my experience, for your comments and input. My interest in posting was to flag it and bring it to your attention. My work around is simply to use the other port, I accept that, and that's fine.

The device by the way is amazing!! Really happy with it.

Thanks again,

N.