Join now - be part of our community!

Is Xperia Z delivered plastic cover on...

SOLVED
tsk4600
Visitor

Is Xperia Z delivered plastic cover on...

... front and back of the telephone. If I watch closely i can see a thin extra layer on my screen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheEntelexia
Explorer

That is the ASF or Anti-Shatter Film. SONY has kindly placed the ASF over their screen to protect the raw screen from scratches and prevent further damage in the event of a crack in the screen. If your phone were to have a cracked screen the ASF would hold all those little pieces together safely. If you remove the ASF the SONY logo will also come off as its imprinted on the sheet. It isn't recommended you pull the film off as SONY will no longer hold you to your warranty cause you have 'modified' your phone and it will become void (Or so I was told by SONY).

Personally I noticed the ASF is prone to scratches since its not scratch resistant and placed a high quality screen protector over the ASF and have no problems with sensitivty and recommend it highly, especially if you can afford one for the back and front of the phone with an oleophobic coating to prevent oils from being trapped on the screen.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TheEntelexia
Explorer

That is the ASF or Anti-Shatter Film. SONY has kindly placed the ASF over their screen to protect the raw screen from scratches and prevent further damage in the event of a crack in the screen. If your phone were to have a cracked screen the ASF would hold all those little pieces together safely. If you remove the ASF the SONY logo will also come off as its imprinted on the sheet. It isn't recommended you pull the film off as SONY will no longer hold you to your warranty cause you have 'modified' your phone and it will become void (Or so I was told by SONY).

Personally I noticed the ASF is prone to scratches since its not scratch resistant and placed a high quality screen protector over the ASF and have no problems with sensitivty and recommend it highly, especially if you can afford one for the back and front of the phone with an oleophobic coating to prevent oils from being trapped on the screen.

tsk4600
Visitor

Thanks, but the dust is very happy for the ASF Slightly_smiling_Face

TheEntelexia
Explorer

The ASF doesn't prevent scratches, fingerprints or dust. Its simply an added durabilty feature to make the Z one of the sturdiest, well built phones on the market. I suggest investing in a high quality screen protector to put over the ASF to prtoect both the screen and film from further scratches/marks. Get one that is both scratch resistant and has an Oleophobic coating, self healing attributes can cost more in screen protectors but personally i've seen the results and you can't go by Krusell or Martin Fields screen protectors.