Join now - be part of our community!

Professional use of Alpha 7 II

Professional use of Alpha 7 II

Anybody using a Sony for professional sports work I shoot equestrian events both indoors and out and am looking to replace a couple of Nikon D3s.

One thing that I like about the alpha 7 is that I can actually put a focussing spot in the corner of the image, which I can't do with either Nikon or Canon, but I am concerned about battery life I normally take 1000 images in a day and that has gone up to 1750 on one occasion this year.

Also of course there is the problem of how robust they are. My Nikons look new despite the hammering that they are getting.

What is the estimated shutter life - Nikon are quoting 150K for most bodies, 400K for the D4's

Anybody using the adapters with fast "A" lenses? From what I can see although I may be wrong I would lose the majority of my focussing points, I need to use the 70-200 f2.8 in order to reduce depth of field and get enough light.

Finally there is the problem of servicing and repairs how do they/you compare to NPU membership?

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
PancakeMuddyPaws
Explorer

Hi,

I've been using the Sony A7s professionally since last August and have just ordered a an A7II to replace my Canon 5dmk3..

Yes, you need plenty of spare batteries :slight_smile: At a wedding I shoot approx 1,000 images per day between two cameras, sometimes 1,200 depending on the event. These are inside, ouside, day and night..

I've chosen not to use adaptors but have bought new FE lenses. I have the 24-70 f4, 70-200, 35 f2.8 and I've just ordered the 16-35 f4. With the image stabilisation I have been able to use a slightly slower shutter speed (but then brides aren't fast moving, neither are babies !!) and the with A7s I can use REALLY high ISO settings.

I don't know what the service is like, I haven't yet had a problem....

I've put a bit on my blog about the A7s :slight_smile: Blog Link

Many thanks for the info, I have heard some good things about the Sony camaeras, but still nobody is talking about sports work. For example i have a job coming up in the next couple of weeks, I will need to be up at 5000 iso for most if not all day, that is to give me a shutter speed of more than 1/500th  at f2.8, I need 1/500 because the object is to stop a horse going over a show jump.

Normally of course one is able to anticipate where the rider is going to be thus one is able to track them as they approach the jump, however there are times when one is not expecting to take a shot and they fall off, I then grab shots as I can. Currently my Nikon D3 is set not to take a shot unless something within the frame is in focus, but despite this I never miss a grab shot, can the Sony match that?