Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Ok hopefully 5.1 DD sound will be in soon cause I really miss having that.

APart from that it seems we still have to reboot the TV every day to keep it stable and fast, any idea on that?

Might have to do with the HDMI sync (STR-DN1060) still not working 100% correct, sometimes still takes ages to switch it off together with the tv and other times it still pops up with the INPUT ERROR on hdmi ports of the receiver.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

@tcviper no idea but let's see what the next update brings and evaluate further then. As I have no real clue what is being changes it is difficult for me to judge for the moment. Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
tweety2b

btw @tcviper did you update the firmware on your receiver as well. I know we released one last week as well. you never know ;-) Nico
Nico Henderijckx
HairyFool

New kdl-50w809c, the issues:

No EPG! Only when you tune into a particular channel does its listing and a few others get populated.

Start up mode! The TV starts up in the home screen, the OH expects to turn on the TV and it to be a TV not a computer.

Junkware! Don't want Netflix, Amazon Instant or most others. I have other boxes that do this which are never used so don't need this one. If I can ditch them to free up storage space.

Compatibility! Millions of Windows devices out there yet it doesn't work, no Screencast with my Windows Tablet, no visibility of my DLNA compliant Windows Home Server with thousands of photos, 10x thousands of music tracks sitting there waiting for something to play on. Android is a bucketshop cheapo OS but it can work with Windows which is a real OS.

Channel sorting! Satellite has hundreds of duplicate and suspect offerings yet can only be deleted one at a time with a confirmation for each one.... Arrrghh! Highlight, move on, highlight, move on etc. delete, confirm, all done. Or even better give it a web interface and I can clean up from a real keyboard.

WiFi! Three times I had to enter the WiFi key using the clunky IR remote using the same password each time, on the 3rd time it finally connected. (then Screen Mirroring didn't work anyway, double Arrrghh!) So did mirroring fail because of compatibility with Windows or WiFi?

Web Site! Search on Sony for this model with 0 results, search on Google with the same terms and lots of results including the one I want on Sony site 😮 . Try to register the device on Sony site, no sign of serial no. on the screen in the About menu so struggle to demount the screen from the wall. Get the number off the label (box is in the loft), enter it on the register screen.... "there is a problem, please try later" (triple Arrrghh!)

Compatibility 2! Shop offers free Sony soundbar with TV, it goes to sleep after the TV is off but does not turn on again :~ so we end up with a screen of mime artists. It turns out the free soundbar is not in the TVs compatibility list.

I have always been a great fan of Sony products, 3 TVs, 1 AV receiver, 2 Home theatre units but the slipshod marketing of this product is completely unacceptable. Not fit for purpose just does cover it. Receipt next to me on my table, back to the shop tomorrow.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Yes i did update the DN1060, but makes no difference so far concerning HDMI sync.

alellio01

@ tweety2b How do you access PAP on the TV ? (KD49x8309C)
tweety2b

hi Alellio, I think this feature will be available via a firmware update in Summer 2015. Cheers Nico
Nico Henderijckx
marco_polo_12345
Explorer

@HairyFool, You're not missing much not having the EPG, it's boarderline unusable. Slow, no scroll up/down, no reminder/bookmark functions, very disappointing. If you want to use your TV as a TV, buy something else. I have the same Soundbar issue too, won't fire up with the TV?! Not impressed.

Agreed. The EPG is Poor. Usually you would have a small picture of the current channel you are watching in the corner somewhere. Sony seem to think that having a full sized image as a background in the EPG is good. Its not very good when you are photosensitive epileptic trying to read what is on with moving images floating in the background. 

I went into a local shop that i know sells these TVs and they hadn't heard of the TV/Radio issue, so they connected their one up and it tested it. Luckily it didn't go to AdultXXX but instead went to ITVi4 I believe. They was using Freesat as a TV feed, whereas I was using Freeview Spoke to Someone in Sony today on the support team, and they said that "this is not an issue that they are aware of". They are going to ring me back later to confirm, I presume once they have actually looked at the pile of poo that they are selling and checked it. 

How did this make it past basic testing functions, unless the person testing it was already watching AdultXXX????

HairyFool

With a fully programmable operating system vs a classic firmware base these Android TVs should be streets ahead of earlier sets. However Sony appear to have lost the principle of what they are supposed to be. How could they possibly release a device when the Logo'ed function on the remote (Netflix) did not work properly, what a shot in the foot. When it doesn't even do what my old (8 years) set does it is a complete fail. Anybody recommend a working (satellite with EPG) alternative?