Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
NickCo1979

and half my settings have gone. Got to re-enter passwords ridiculously slowly...again. I could cry. I thought I'd bought a TV, when it turns out all I've bought is an instrument of self-flagellation, when pre-ordering costs you £100 more than after release and you spend more time on a forum trying to get the advertised features to work than you do actually using the TV. So incredibly disappointed in Sony.
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Guys, I was told that the new update contains (amongst others): - Fix for Lip Sync in HDMI input - Improved Picture Quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness) - Fox for black screen without video displayed after "Please wait" message on MHEG-ICS channel (ex. CCTV) - Improved general performance of the TV - Improved Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV I hope this helps. Cheers Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
Wdp1234
Explorer

Another issue that seems to of developed with at least my kdl-43w756c is with the USB in that it can't detect memory sticks despite it being able to at least the day before. the only fix I've found that for some reason works is to start the initial setup of the tv again..but seems to so far only work for awhile. Anyone else having this problem and/or got a permanent fix for it? thanks
chpetzn
Explorer

Add me to the list of disappointed owners. I love the picture quality and upscaling on my KD-43X8305C. I even love Android and its quirks. I'm even ok with the pace of firmware releases incrementally fixing things.

I am not happy with Sony's pathetic excuse for customer service.

My TV was delivered on the 1st of July, it developed two black spots on the right edge of the display around the 8th of July. I reported the fault to Sony on the 9th together with photos and they escalated it to the tech team. On calling to chase today (the 23rd, two WEEKS later!) I was initially told the fault was due to a knock and therefore not covered under warranty. After quoting the Sale of Goods Act, it has once again been escalated to some second tier support people.

Had this been Amazon, a new TV would have been delivered on the 10th and my broken TV would have been collected some time later. Useless!!

lebarry
Explorer

Lip Sync in my opinion now seems to be fixed but I cannot understand why HDD recording is not enabled yet. The Sony official line is that it will be enabled " Summer 2015" with a software update, in other words anytime between now and the 22nd of September when summer ends.
profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Nico,

What about 5.1 sound (D-TV and apps) and HDMI sync fixes? :slight_smile:

Thx

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Tcviper, Nothing mentioned but as per usual I will keep digging and hopefully will be able to keep on updating you guys on a regular basis. Cheers Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)

Can some detail exactly the current faults with the latest batch of Sony 2015 TVs. I have just purchased a KDL-43W755CBU and it seems ok. I'll be using it as basically a dumb tv, so i'll just be watching tv through Freeview and playing Blu-Rays through a blu-ray player. 

All the bells and whistles with smart tvs and catch up is all great i'm sure, but i just wanted a tv that allows me to watch television programmes. I'm not interested in Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. I have smartphone for all my apps, why would I then want to view the same apps on my TV??? 

Surely all people want is a TV that produces a great picture and sound, and if they want anything else they can perhaps turn on the Wi-Fi on the TV and it comes to live with smart function etc 

Only issues I seemd to have found is the TV guide is a little cluttered. Surely just letting us know the name of the programme is fine, without then trying to cram in a description of it as well, also the current programme does not show in a little screen when the guide is up. I would have thought that was basic as well. Also you can't page down or page up using any buttons. I presume someone forgot to code???

I also thought there was a little delay in sound to picture so it looked a little off, but I was watching Humans on HD so the HD channel might have been playing up or the TV was??

alellio01

Hi Nick. £100 cheaper... try £200 cheaper. Crazy price has dropped £200 in 21 days.
NickCo1979

I do feel like I've been taken for a mug by Sony. I ordered a Z4 Tablet at the same time as the TV and it's turned up today. Wifi is incredibly slow, so slow in fact that clicking a link on a webpage takes longer than the default screen sleep setting! A request to Sony has resulted in a "it'll be fixed in a future firmware update" response. It's a systemic problem across the entire company it seems. throw out unfinished products then code like f*ck to try and get them to work. I've been charged a premium for pre-ordering, sent a defective product not ready for release and then told to suck it up. I haven't got the energy to argue any more as I've been worn down by the awful support and I can't bring myself to contact them again. One thing for certain though, never again will I buy a single Sony product. A shame, Sony used to stand for quality, reliable products with great customer service. Where did it go so wrong?