Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
MikeLothian

Was it confirmed there would be an update today?
NickCo1979

I think the semi official line from Nico (page 13 of this thread) was an update is due this week, date to be confirmed. The 22nd has been thrown around a bit (I think from support case responses) but no offical line on that.

lebarry
Explorer

Sony know people are having issues and lots of them with their 2015 android tvs so why can they not officially inform their customers here when the updates are due and what the updates contain, I think that is not too much to ask for considering the inconvenience and frustration all these unsolved issues are causing.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Just to say that Sony now have a general Android TV troubleshooting

support section  Here  that may be of some help to you. :thumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
psp888

Totally useless troubleshooting, answer to everything 'Update the software' or 'reboot the TV'

alellio01

Re update. I have been told the update was planned for today, but then cancelled, they are still hoping to bring it out this week, but no dates. I also have know idea what is fixing.
NickCo1979

Morning All. Just checked and my TV has found an update. Downloading now, will report back once installed.
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Nick and all, I can confirm a new update was approved yesterday evening and should be available for download - version 2.243 (4K available now, 2K is very imminent). I am sure the support website will be updated soon and let you guys know what exactly got improved. Kindest regards Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
wills_b

Any way we can get confirmation what's in it? Would really help people to troubleshoot their issues if there was more acknowledgement of known problems.

For example still nobody has said they can get 5.1 via HDMI and ARC but it's not been acknowledged as an issue so who knows if it's just my equipment or a TV issue.

Sent from my iPhone
NickCo1979

Initial impressions not good. Booted into Android, incredibly slowly, then proceeded to crash on the home screen twice before finally letting me navigate but with "Recommendations aren't available right now, check back later" error message. Going to power cycle it. Again.