Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what everyone's understanding of the PIP/PAP situation is. I know it's scheduled for 24th December (ROFL), but the extra support notes only state the exclusions, rather than which input source combinations will work:

"** Browser/Tuner, USB Tuner, Tuner/Tuner combinations are not available with this function."

The way I read it this means at the very least you could have HDMI/HDMI, HDMI/Scart, HDMI/Component. Has anyone seen a detailed spec list for this?

Be curious to know if casting from an external device and android apps will work etc. Given the debacle over Youview and HDD/SAT recording I'm expecting Sony to start adding loads more exclusions to this feature....

Thanks.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
mk1.golf.1983

Whilst at Tesco the other evening I noticed that they had some 22" technika dvd combos going cheap at £104 (my brother is looking for one for his daughter) I then noticed that it has record to hdd. That left a sour taste in my mouth! Why is this not possible on my cough "premium" Sony tv? 

paudanie8

Whooo just sold my Sony 65X9005C.  Without question the worst TV I have ever owned. Never again and never again Androud.

Moving to LG OLED 65EF950V

For those of you persevering - good luck. 

Mekerz

@paudanie8 wrote:

Whooo just sold my Sony 65X9005C.  Without question the worst TV I have ever owned. Never again and never again Androud.

Moving to LG OLED 65EF950V

For those of you persevering - good luck. 

I don't think Android deserves much/any criticism when it comes to the issues with Sony's 2015 Bravia range. The ShieldTV seems to be universally praised and whilst there have been issues, nVidia have pushed fixed out quickly as they have done with their previous hardware such as the shield tablet. Based on this, it appears all of these issues are down to Sony's implementation.

I would agree that AndroidTV is still yet to have a purpose in my opinion. Interestingly, Samsung has a football app on it's Galaxy store that links with its TV range and will display stats on the TV as an overlay over football games. This is the sort of stuff SMART TV's should be offering - I don't see what Sony's built in AndroidTV implementation provides over a decent separate solution such as ShieldTV. 

paudanie8

Not really who is to blame but I've never owned a TV in my life that was so slow, buggy, required so many reboots and bled so much from the screen edges. 

Horrible experience for me. 

The wall bracket is nice though!

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Anonymous and others

Now that time has passed and I finally have the YouView that was advertised when I bought it in September, here is my remaining issues put as simply as possible.

1) YouView implementation is good but let down by the lack of a reminder facility. What point is a 7 day forward planner, if you can't do anything with a programme you want to watch. (except write it down with a pen & paper)

2) I am VERY upset that I will not be able use any HDD recording if I have YouView enabled. Disabling one feature in favour of a completely different one is wrong and not as advertised at point of sale.

3) I am upset that YouView also disables the completely non associated Satellite tuner, in much the same way as item 2).I know I can disble YouView to get satellite back, but I need both! I don;t expect YouView guide to support satellite channels but the two should operate independantly, without having to retune satellite channels each time I swap.

Should these 3 issues be eliminated on Dec 24th when the advertised but non working features are provided, I will be a happy TV owner. Do you believe as I do now that these are not licencing issues as hinted at but lack of processor power or CPU memory. I bought the TV on the advertised YouView feature but was totally unaware that it would break other features of the TV.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
elraouk

Incompatibility between Youview and HDD / Sat was added to the website at the latest start of September, as it was there when I instigated my return in the first few days of September.  It was hidden as a footnote,  in a collapsed section.  The ultimate in small print, which should not be legal... But it was there.  So really does depend when you bought the TV and where, as to whether this restriction was listed by your retailer. 
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@elraouk These restrictions were NOT and are still not listed by the retailers on-line site, where I purchased my TV. I do not wish to return my TV but these un-expected and un-necessary restrictions are ruining my experience of what I thought was a premium brand. I can assure you I did extensive research before the purchase and would not have bought it knowing what I know now. But if they can get around them I will be happy !

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Turned my ps4 on tonight another system update for that, we had one 10 days ago we are getting 2 a month for that,  Sony need to get the ps4 department on the android TV's, we might get some updates.

apoc.reg
Explorer

So I updated to youview and its an improvement (still slow and chugging though!) but ITV player through Youview doesnt work.

For instance I just tried to go back 24 hrs to load up Emmerdale from the guide for my wife and it loads ITV player then gives the itv player has encountered an error message. It does this for all ITV content.

BBC stuff works fine. Anyone else not able to get ITV items to work?