Join now - be part of our community!

4K TV, Interface is 1080p, feels like 720p

profile.country.GB.title
sonybox
Explorer

4K TV, Interface is 1080p, feels like 720p

Android TV in a 4K Sony Bravia KD-75X8505C is 1080p but feels like 720p.

The interface is not very sharp, looks like it's downscaled to 720p, although it's 1080p according to resolution analyser.

If I connect a Fire TV through HDMI in the same TV it is wonderfuly sharp, just comparing Netflix app between Fire TV and TV's own Android TV is a night and day difference.

Is there a fix for this? Doesn't make sense to buy a 4K Android TV and setup an external 30€ Android TV device just to get sharp image from the interface.

It doesn't seem to have any problems when entering video mode, like watching movies, it's just a problem with the interface apparently.

5 REPLIES 5
Tophip75
New

I completely concur with Sonybox, i have played around with the pictuire settings and encountered the same issue.

profile.country.GB.title
sonybox
Explorer

If I knew the interface resolution was crippled wouldn't have bought this Sony TV, now I have to use an external Android TV device to take full advantage of the TV.

Artur_007
Explorer

I think you are absolutely right. I'm hoping that this is fixed on the December firmware upgrade. I only noticed the lack of sharpness of the interface a couple of weeks ago, it's not a big deal for me but it is very annoying once you notice it.

Glad the actual content is nice and sharp though :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sonybox
Explorer

And in a 75 inch tv the interface lack of sharpness is even more noticeable. 

profile.country.GB.title
sonybox
Explorer

Here are some screenshots of Fire TV vs Android TV, both at 1920x1080 on the same television.

You can clearly notice the sharpness of HDMI Fire TV (first screenshots) vs built-in Android TV.

Exit-Fire.JPGExit-Sony.JPG

Settings-Fire.JPGSettings-Sony.JPG