Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

Thanks for the kodi tip, vlc and mx player will play the 4k hdr rips fine but gives me 2 channel stereo on my sony strdn1080 av receiver, even when I select audio passthrough on both apps, at least with kodi I can get 5.1.

Now just got to somehow get kodi to give me trueHD as I have a 7.1 speaker setup and the AVR and files are capable of delivering it, for some reason when I go to audio settings in kodi (expert mode) I only have the option to select dolby digital, dolby digital plus, DTS and DTS-HD capable receiver, I think there should be option for TRUEHD capable receiver as well but it's not there.

I've played the files via HTPC connected to AVR and out to TV and they play the TRUEHD track but then I don't get HDR as my PC isn't capable of playing HDR.

Strange that kodi doesn't give me the option for TRUEHD.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@smudger75  schrieb:
I only have the option to select dolby digital, dolby digital plus, DTS and DTS-HD capable receiver, I think there should be option for TRUEHD capable receiver as well but it's not there.

You will never get true DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD via apps. The MediaTek application processor just does not support the high bandwidth, even for latest model generations with eARC in which case lossless multi-channel audio only works for externally connected HDMI devices (via the X1 Ultimate processor, not the MediaTek one). DTS-HD is supported for apps because the format mendates a DTS compatible core which is exctracted for passthrough. The API however is currently broken on driver-side with audio dropping out after several seconds, see bug ticket.

Here is a rundown of passthrough formats which are supposed to work and which are not...

[WORKING]

+ Dolby Digital (AC3)

+ Dolby Digital Plus (EAC3)

+ EAC3 based Dolby ATMOS (Prime Video app does not support it on BRAVIA due to missing EAC3 JOC API support, Kodi and others can make use of the conventional EAC3 API)

+ DTS

[THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE, BUT BROKEN DRIVER]

- DTS Core of DTS-HD HRA

- DTS Core of DTS-HD MA

[NOT WORKING DUE TO BANDWIDTH LIMITATIONS]

- DTS-HD MA

- DTS-HD MA based DTS:X

- Dolby TrueHD (MLP)

- MLP based Dolby ATMOS

[DON'T KNOW]

o DTS-HD HRA (should be possible from a bandwidth point of view, just like Dolby Digital Plus/EAC3)

o DTS-HD HRA based DTS:X (should be possible from a bandwidth point of view, just like EAC3 based Dolby Atmos)

This is only true for playback via apps. In case of HDMI it depends on whether you connect via an AVR or whether your BRAVIA supports eARC in case the playback device is directly connected via the BRAVIA.

profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

Thanks for the info Kuschelmonschter

profile.country.GB.title
Sees01
Explorer

I have been using UMS (Universal Media Server) for streaming on TV for several years now, it’s the most convenient for me, as an analogue of Plex etc. There were no problems on Samsung, everything was played on the standard video app, the transition to SONY was very surprising - the standard video app is *****! Plus to everything at Sony does not lose normally avi. mpeg (2) files. I found such a rare player on the forums - Vimu Media Player ( He has his own engine).

At the moment, everything works for me like a clock, UMS with settings - do not transcode MKV, and always transcode AVI, AVC files. On Vimo’s TV, everything goes smoothly. (though I don’t have a good sound, I can’t say anything about the sound).

Sony 55XE8577, 8.0 Oreo

nichgr
Explorer

I just bought a Sony Bravia XG80 TV and the Android Oreo website says the latest software should be "PKG6.6520.xxxx" or higher.

When I go to the help page, my software version says PKG6.6050.xxxx, lower than the latest version above.

When I click “system update software”, it says “your software is up to date,” but obviously it isn’t because I don’t have the new “Home” screen as seen in Android Oreo’s 8.0 introductory video.

Am I being stupid or is there a way to fix this?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You may always download the firmware update from the support web site and install it via usb
profile.country.FR.title
gandalf_junior
Explorer

Hello,

On 22th of may, Sony was saying they were resuming the automatic update to Android 8.0. 

I know it is possible to update the firmware manually but why it is not done automatically as they said ?

Is there a problem with the update service? or the automatic update was blocked again without any communication around it?

Here in France, KD-55XE8596 still on Android 7 waiting for the promised automatic update.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you do not want to wait you can update manually. Those are the only options for you
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@gandalf_junior wrote:

Hello,

On 22th of may, Sony was saying they were resuming the automatic update to Android 8.0. 

I know it is possible to update the firmware manually but why it is not done automatically as they said ?

Is there a problem with the update service? or the automatic update was blocked again without any communication around it?

Here in France, KD-55XE8596 still on Android 7 waiting for the promised automatic update.

It appears Sony have halted the OTA updates again, seen this mentioned on avforums directly quoted from Sony support emails. Not sure why, no reason is stated. The only way to update at the moment is to download the USB file.

profile.country.FI.title
erkkipj
Explorer

The update 6520 has not been very successful. Many problems for customers over the world, so I think Sony is preparing a new update. That's why OTA is halted for now, I guess.