Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
Jon1186
Explorer

I have a KD-49XE8396 which is on the list of supported model but can't get the update to work via USB. File seems to download correctly, I've extracted it & copied to USB stick but the updater doesn't run when I insert the USB stick into the tv. Tried restarting but still no success. I can see the USB stick has been detected since it appears in the storage menu. Appreciate any tips. 

profile.country.RU.title
Mezaro
Contributor

USB stick with NTFS?

Android 8.0 don't running "update wizard" if you use USB stick with exFAT.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon1186
Explorer

Good point @Mezaro, I think my stick was exFAT, I re-formatted to NTFS but still not working. Doh!

profile.country.RU.title
Mezaro
Contributor

Yep, updated to 6.6545

and no fix for TrueHD problem in VideoApp.

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

" think my stick was exFAT,"

Try with Fat32.

Copy the extracted .pkg file to the flash drive, plug it to the TV (Unplug all other USB devices), and the update must be starting instantly.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Just update to 6.6545 via USB. No noticeable differences in features / look etc but have now managed to set the TV so it doesn't turn my AVR on by default (but maybe I was looking in the wrong place previously) 

profile.country.GB.title
Jon1186
Explorer

Thanks for your help @vlevi70, tried several sticks and resorted to a memory card in the end, updated, nothing unusual to report, no noticeable improvements either though.

profile.country.GB.title
mushypeasdm

my Android tv witch cost £780 only lasted three years .is that how long thay last .having to replace a tv at this time of year is not good .iv still got two years to pay it off .dont think ill buy any more sony products again witch is a shame as it was a great TV .it was the KD49xD8077 .after year one it got replaced as it had one dead pixel .so its only two years old .so £780 tv last two .thanks for nothing iv been a fan of sony for ever

profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

i've had two Sony XE9005
in the span of 2.5 Years

I spent £1500 on it

one had dead pixel and one had a broken Motherboard.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I've seen posts on here about the video player freezing and that playing files from a NAS may be a solution, and also people wanting to play high bit rate files from their network but being constrained by the 100 lan port

Out of curiosity I tried a USB3 lan adaptor in the TV (an xf) and the TV connected to the network showing an orange ie gigabit connection though note usb 2 is actually about 480Mbps. The fibre test speedtest  app showed my full 190Mbps internet speed. Plug the lan back in to the lan port and it went down to about 40Mbps. This seemed consistent over a few tests.

This might help people who need a workaround to this issue by playing from a NAS, or people who want to play high bitrate files via wired lan.  A cheap USB 2 or 3 lan adapter should give approx 480Mbps

EDIT as long as the usb2/3 lan adaptor has a gigabit lan port (most likely on a usb3 one) - but would be good for someone to confirm my findings