Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.FI.title
erkkipj
Explorer

Do you know if those USB-ports on xf9005 are USB2 or USB3, or does that matter?
For inst. TP-LINK USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter UE300 is very cheap and recommended adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Foldable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Compatible/dp/B00YUU3KC6

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Usb 2 or 3 should work its the gigabit Lan adaptor that matters 

The adaptor I have is more bulky as its a hub as well, but on another thread someone is saying they've not had success with other adaptors.

The one I have is an anker adaptor via amazon - apologies as not sure the link is working. 

Anker AK-A7514041 3-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub for Macbook, Mac Pro / mini, iMac, Surface Pro,... 

profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

The 2 USB ports on the side of the xf9005 are usb 2.0 and the one on the rear is usb 3.0 (judging by the blue connection)

I have ordered one of the Anker usb ethernet adaptors (refurbished is £14.39 on amazon today) so will see if it works - have 350Mb broadband and 1Gb netgear ethernet bridge with cat 6 cables connecting my devices

Hopefully this will work

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Good that you found out a solution but more than 100mbps are quite never used in streaming and for sure by no streaming service (like Amazon prime or Netflix). Quite no tv on the market has a gigabit network interface and it doesn't help to compare the prices for a pc network card since tv have specific soc that have to have onboard the interface.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

@rooobb agreed  re netflix etc. the 100 lan port should be more than enough. But some people want to stream high bit rate files from their local network and that can require around 100Mbps and therefore struggle with the required speed

Interestingly the wired LAN port speedtests on netflix and the fibre app only got to 30 or 40 Mbps, which is quite close to the 25 required by netflix, and I think some higher frame rate files on YouTube can be 40Mbps.

I've seen similar discussions on the use of usb adaptors with gigabit Lan connectors  for other devices like 4k chromecast and 4k firestick where the manufacturers wired lan adaptor only has 100 NIC.  For those devices it's a different form factor but similar requirement for wired high bit rate local streaming

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Tonycv51  I had a similar discussion with @Kuschelmonschter  some times ago and we tested that, under normal condition, the ethernet port can go to the physical cap of 100 mbps without problems (youtube can have streaming as high as 60mbps and can handle it even if with some issue with the interface - not the streaming itself - on 4k 60fps HDR video). 

Keeping in mind that an UHD BD can manage max 128 mbps by spec definition (that the tv cannot handle of course) a normally compressed rip normally is  below the Ethernet limit. Nonetheless I agree it should be better if a gigabit port was available. 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Sadly I'm not sure this is working as turned on the TV this afternoon and it's  now showing ethernet is not connected.

The adaptor is still flashing on the lights but the connection itself isn't working. 

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi
profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Does anyone in the UK know if this update adds the BritBox app?

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Apologies for putting an Android 9.0 Pie post on this section, but I'm on
holiday and disabled from starting a new thread. See the link from Android
Headlines

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2019/12/sony-android-tv-pie-update.html

I'm sceptical about this. Is it not just the update that some others have
already received, which is not 9 Pie ?