Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
Kicking_up_Dust
Explorer

I have a 2017 XE9005 & to say I am angry that i cannot watch iPLayer in 4K is an understatement.

Is it correct, however, that World Cup in 4K is available via Sky Q iplayer app?

Thanks

J

profile.country.GB.title
bkmc47
Explorer

@Kicking_up_Dust wrote:

I have a 2017 XE9005 & to say I am angry that i cannot watch iPLayer in 4K is an understatement.

Is it correct, however, that World Cup in 4K is available via Sky Q iplayer app?

Thanks

J

No! - it is not available on SkyQ by any means

profile.country.GB.title
Kicking_up_Dust
Explorer

Thank You.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@clayton63 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have the KD-49XE8396 I'm using HDMI 2 which is the designated port for HDR. I can view 4k videos from youtube with ease, on the virgin app for iplayer I can also view the "trial" for 4k in settings but when it comes to watching any programmes or live games it only appears to be in SD. My tv isn't listed in the comparable tv list on BBC web page but sony say it's capable. 

Clayton  i orderto  use the  virgin v6 box it needs to have had the firmware update  20.7.6.RC20-UMB-11-C68   they have been  pushing it out to  v6  boxeswhich are connectedto  4k tv's. re your port all of the  xe9305 ones are hdr ports but the port speeds on mine varies.Ii couldnt get it  to work on a port which was  30hz but as soon as  i connected it to a higherspeed one 60hz i got  it  to work. picture is great but i kept losing the sound.Im going to try  a  faster hdmi cable and if that still  doesnt work then Im happy to  just watch it in  1080 which my tv is  upscaling extremly well. ***  Make sure you also set your V6  video output to 4k passthrough its a requirement and  its also helped improve the Picture quality  on all channels.

profile.country.GB.title
clayton63
Explorer

romipat

Thank for for the info it's really helped me, I am now able to watch the games in uhd, although I am losing sound now and then. The quality is unbelievable I can't thank you enough.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Just for reference, I've tried side-loading the latest iPlayer APK for Android onto the TV and there's no way to force it into Beta mode.

I wonder if all the TVs that don't support it are ones where YouView is forced upon us and a useful version of iPlayer can't be installed?  Maybe we could try disabling YouView and then side-loading an APK ripped from a Sony model that uses the real iPlayer app?

profile.country.GB.title
ricglove
Explorer

Am I completely missing something, I've tried the matches yesterday and today but I've never seen any option to view the UHD stream?

My V6 box has the right software version and I can view the UHD test loop in HDR through the iPlayer app on the V6.

My TV is a KD-55XE9005 with the latest software, enhanced mode is turned on for all of the HDMI ports, I'm completely lost!

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Only the first 10,000 (or so) people to view it get the chance to view in 4k HDR as that's the maximum bandwidth they have on their test servers (remember this is only a beta trial).  You need to be logged on before the programme starts and be lucky!

profile.country.GB.title
ricglove
Explorer

Yep, I've tried 3 or 4 matches over the last 2 days, I've been sat with iPlayer at the ready, when the match link appears I tap it and no UHD option, I've tried literally 20 to 30 times for each match right at the start of the streams.

profile.country.GB.title
clayton63
Explorer

ricglove 

Two points I completely missed when trying..

Is your v6 box plugged directly into your HDMI not running through any other device like xbox etc.

Check your video output settings on the v6 and you should have 2160p.