Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
ricglove
Explorer

Direct into the TV on HDMI 1, V6 box is set to 2160p and 2160p passthrough.
I can view the UHD test stream (in beautiful HDR), I just never get the option for any of the matches.

Does changing between iPlayer and iPlayer beta make any difference?

profile.country.GB.title
PClement15
Explorer

Can anyone explain why my Sony bravia (android) KD-43XE8396 appears not to be supported for latest (and previous) Bbc iplayer uhd/4k trial? Tv is clearly marketed for 4k content so have been very dissapointed the bbc iplayer seems not to support my device? I have read HLG format is supported by my tv so still don't understand why it won't work?

Software version is currently PKG6.2858.0082EUA

Any ideas anyone? Any hope for the future?

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Hi PClement,

Firstly you're not on the latest firmware (you may need to download it from the website and install it manually).  Secondly... you've come in rather late to the thread - please read it through if you want all the details.  Bottom line is that very few Sony TVs from 2017 support it in its current incarnation.

profile.country.GB.title
clayton63
Explorer

Beta didn't make a difference on mine, just a thought, are you using the iplayer app through v6 box.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

I thought it was Beta-only but maybe not... sorry, ignore this post!

profile.country.GB.title
ricglove
Explorer

Yep iPlayer app through the V6 box, which has the latest firmware (it matches the firmware number listed on the VM 4K World Cup forum thread).

profile.country.GB.title
ricglove
Explorer

Well that took a bit of trial and error but I've got it working.

I noticed that in External Inputs > HDMI signal format > Enhanced format it says it only works for HDMI 2 and HDMI 3.

Moved the box over from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and the UHD option came up straight away!

Which to me, doesn't make sense, I can see the UHD test reel on iPlayer no matter which HDMI port I use!

profile.country.GB.title
ricglove
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@ricglove wrote:

Well that took a bit of trial and error but I've got it working.

I noticed that in External Inputs > HDMI signal format > Enhanced format it says it only works for HDMI 2 and HDMI 3.

Moved the box over from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 and the UHD option came up straight away!

Which to me, doesn't make sense, I can see the UHD test reel on iPlayer no matter which HDMI port I use!

Im not sure which   model  you have butglad you got yoursworking I  did mention this earlier on my  xe 9305 only  ports 2 and3 are   60 hz 1 and 4 are  30nz  so  i didnt get the option to  watch it  hdr on the v6  until i movedthe input into hdmi 3 on mineand ot it straight away. I was geting sound issues  so today i  changed   my hdmi  cable to  higer bandwdth neand so gfar so good, will be interesting to see if it still works ok  when thierserers get hammered  for the England match.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@clayton63 wrote:

romipat

Thank for for the info it's really helped me, I am now able to watch the games in uhd, although I am losing sound now and then. The quality is unbelievable I can't thank you enough.

cool glad it helped. I changed my hdmi  cable  from the standard  virgin one to a 4 k  high bandwidth one and I didnt  get the sound drop outs earlier but it was durig the post match stuff so will only know if the cable change resolved my sound problem  after watching a game and the england  match especialy as that will be max out thier servers so if it works during that  game then its sorted.