Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@rgledhill wrote:

Just for reference, I've tried side-loading the latest iPlayer APK for Android onto the TV and there's no way to force it into Beta mode.

I wonder if all the TVs that don't support it are ones where YouView is forced upon us and a useful version of iPlayer can't be installed?  Maybe we could try disabling YouView and then side-loading an APK ripped from a Sony model that uses the real iPlayer app?

I dont  think that will work. i havean nvideashiled connected t omy tv and the  iplayerapp on that doesnt  give  an option to  watch the hdr stuff. i read that  the v6 boxoe   does a check to see if the  hdi port on the tv is a  high bandwidth one so  i doubt if the standard iplayer app  fro another device will do that.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

The Nvidia Shield has its own custom build of the iPlayer App and it's already documented elsewhere that it doesn't support the beta or UHD features.   However if we can extract an APK from another TV that works, but doesn't use YouView, it would be worth a try...

(By the way your posts always come up rather garbled - are you using a strange App to access the forums instead of the website?  Useful info though for v6 boxes :))

profile.country.GB.title
PClement15
Explorer

Apologies i did jump in a bit quick there! Thanks for everyone elses more useful posts, I am now a bit better educated, all be it with little chance of 4k iplayer any time soon unless I explore iplayer via other means (Roku or Virgin v6 box maybe?)

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

To all data nerds here, perhaps this can help us?https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/8rl0di/how_to_get_fox_sports_world_cup_4k_apk_working_on...

Perhaps this is something to look at:

ro.product.model=HAT4KDTV

ro.product.brand=Hisense

ro.product.manufacturer=Hisense

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

well here are osme of my own thoughts on where we stand with the lack of support and why, at least as far as 65xd9305's go. 

was having a mess about yesterday when i hooked up my pc back to the tv and thought id have a go at getting hdr working, now seems i cant fire anything higher than a ycbcr 420 8bit signal at 60hz through the set, 422 444 both not supported. now not sure what sort of effect this has on hdr BUT windows own hdr toggle wont switch over at 420 8bit 60z, so im only assuming now that with the bbc trialing 50fps (50hz i guess with vsync enabled to stop tearing) this could be the issue, the set just cant accept such a signal and no amount of engineer tweaing will change this. 

again i could be wrong but with the lack of a proper manual from sony with these sort of settings in who knows. 

profile.country.GB.title
JannEejit
Explorer

Quick question, has anyone had any success picking up the World Cup games in UHD via an Amazon Firestick 4K edition ?  I might get one if it works. I just tried the i-player app via my Panasonic UHD blu-ray network player through HDMI 2 on m Sony and no joy there either.

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

It doesn’t work with an Amazon Fire TV 4K box so I doubt it would with a Fire TV stick. I was watching it work with a Roku Streaming Stick + yesterday however. Currently £55 in Sainsbury’s. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@jan.hansen957 wrote:

To all data nerds here, perhaps this can help us?https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/8rl0di/how_to_get_fox_sports_world_cup_4k_apk_working_on...

Perhaps this is something to look at:

ro.product.model=HAT4KDTV

ro.product.brand=Hisense

ro.product.manufacturer=Hisense

inteesting but n way  am I going to risk bricking my shield especially as my virging V6  box hasan iplayerapp which worksalready.

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

I got it on the roku+ but all other brands of box and stick don't work.
Some virgin v6 boxes work. Roku+ is £59.99 and works on Sony 2014-2018 tvs
without exception.
profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

Im in the same boat. Spent extra for future proofing. Contacted Sony, was advised I can watch it in hd as my tv isn’t included. Brilliant!!! That’s why I bought a 4k tv. Should have spent half the cash