Join now - be part of our community!

BRAVIA ANDROID FIRMWARE UPDATE 10 DEC 2015

BRAVIA ANDROID FIRMWARE UPDATE 10 DEC 2015

Has anyone performed the firmware update for Android TVs which Sony announced on the 8th December 2015 and which they claim to have scheduled for release for the 10th December 2015?

It is meant to address the following reported issues:

• Responsiveness of the IR remote control
  • Occasional black screen while powering on the TV
  • Occasional black screen with sound when switching off the TV
  • TV rebooting during channel changing

1. Did it do what it was meant to?
  2. Did it cure anything else?
  3. Did it cause any new issues?
  4. How would you rate it 1= poor 5 = good

Here's the Link for those who may be unaware.... (opens in new tab)

Let us all know how you got on.

P.S.
If you're waiting for a real spec upgrade to get somewhere close to what you may have expected when you bought your set, the first sign of that is now pushed out to 31st March 2013.

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
22 REPLIES 22
Jwhite69
New

Any help appreciated , purchased a Sony 55X8509CBU in October which has been fine until we did the software update on Thursday. This has left the TV with the following faults that I just cannot resolve - 

- it will not turn off unless we turn power off, the screen goes off with the remote but the sound still plays through tv

- when switching from sky to smart TV (YouTube) it still plays the sky channel sound aswell as the YouTube channel

- the remote needed to be re paired

- it doesn't always recognise hdmi 1&2 when switching over 

I will be contacting the retailer on Monday regarding the faults but expected much more than this when purchasing a Sony TV.

best regards

Jon

Tarzion

I want to downgrade to this firmware from the EU firmware as the blank screen issue is killing me.

How do I do that?

Jagular

It's a TV, but just an android device. You should in theory be able to sideload an earlier version of the firmware via the android dev tools and adb sideload.

The procedure for a Nexus 5 is here, but I haven't looked into booting the TV into recovery mode. It may be a case of holding down a button combination on the on-set controls whilst plugging in the set.

There is a firmware update scheduled for the end of Feb, I'm going to just wait till then. In the meantime, I've turned off automatic updates so I can apply the Feb update via USB stick.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately at this stage there is no way to roll-back firmware updates.

Cheers

Tarzion

I have got the recovery software and the instructions from Sony support but it doesn't seem to work.

:smileyrolleyes::smileyrolleyes::smileyrolleyes:

Jagular

Want to post the procedures here & the problem yoiu're having? Happy to offer any help I can.

Tarzion

I can't get step 9 onwards to work.

1- Make sure you have a USB memory device at hand with at least 1 GB of memory and format it, selecting the FAT32 file system
2- Download the recovery software package and unzip the file
3- Copy the extracted file to the root directory of the formatted USB memory device
4- Turn on the TV set
5- Insert the USB memory device into the USB slot located at the side of the unit
6- Pull out the power plug and wait for at least 10 seconds
7- Reinsert the power plug
8- Press the key to turn the unit on and confirm that the LED under the SONY logo at the bottom of the TV set turns on in green
9- After 20 to 30 seconds, confirm that the LED starts blinking in amber color. LED blinking indicates that the firmware update is installing
10- After 1 to 2 minutes, the LED should stop blinking. Press the key to turn on the TV
11- If the SONY logo appears on the screen and the LED turns on in green, the recovery software installation was successful.
12- Pull out the USB memory device from the TV
13- Finally, we recommend updating to the latest firmware for your Bravia TV by going to this page and following the update instructions

IMPORTANT: During the firmware installation process, do not remove the USB device, switch off the TV set or remove the power plug.

Below is the link for downloading the recovery software:

download.sony-europe.com/pub/tv/ITC3_RECV_STEU1.ZIP

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

@Tarzion - Does this software allow you to switch to an equal or earlier software?

Tarzion

As per Sony you can rollback to any firmware otherwise the recovery procedure would be pointless.

Has anybody managed to get it working as yet?

profile.country.IE.title
podge3

Can I ask where you get this software? I would like to roll back my firmware also but have a different model TV to yours.

Thanks.