Join now - be part of our community!

Disney+ App - no Dolby 5.1 output

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Disney+ App - no Dolby 5.1 output

I've got the new Disney+ app now it's here in the UK, been watching stuff on it fine. I noticed last night though I'm not getting 5.1 Dolby sound on anything I stream, despite the shows being available with it. There's no options so to speak, as it automatically transmits in the highest grade it can, or so it seems.

I had an online chat with their support yesterday, and it seems to be an issue with their app, not my hardware - other apps such as Amazon Prime and Netflix work perfectly on the same settings, giving me 5.1. Disney is only in stereo however.

Strangely enough, after deleting and reinstalling the app as they suggested, when streaming an episode of The Mandalorian, for the first second or two it was showing as in 5.1 on my home theatre, but then reverted to 2.0. The tech guy has reported this problem up a level, and acknowledged that it seems a widespread issue from a quick google search.

Anyone else having the issue or come up with a fix?

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

the problem i am having is i get dolby vision but i dont get dolby atmos i get 5.1 instead

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

On my xf90 with a marantz avr it plays DD+ fine.  Try a different hdmi cable?

Make sure avr turned on before playing the film/episode, and check the sound settings when playing in the app via tv's action menu

profile.country.GB.title
fabiofabiani
Explorer

I have the same exact issue, including the first couple of seconds in DD 5.1.

I have my TV connected to a Sonos Playbar via optic cable (only input option there).

Do you also connect to your 5.1 system via an optic cable? That seems to be the issue (but only with the Disney+ app, same as you all other apps have no issue). If you connect with HDMI things should work.

I sincerely hope Sony fixes this...

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Yes, i use an optical cable for the audio from my tv to my home cinema....needed that to get 5.1 on things like amazon prime, netflix etc. I'll be amazed if thats the reason why i don't get 5.1 on disney+!!!

Its definitely an issue with the android app on the tv, as i have also downloaded it to my xbox 1, and get 5.1 dolby from that via the same hardware without any issues.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I can confirm that: At this moment the Android TV App of Disney+ can't DD Audio Out from Optical (maybe for a bug, the sound goes out in DD for some seconds then switch in PCM).

An italian User has connect an Apple TV to his BRAVIA via HDMI and this way him can obtain DD from Disney+'s App from Appel TV...

profile.country.GB.title
fabiofabiani
Explorer

What I mean is that the issue is with the Disney+ on Android TV being unable to output DD signal on an optic cable. That's why if you use the same app with an HDMI cable you have no issue.

As I said, hope Sony fixes this!

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, if i unplug the optical lead between my tv and home cinema, and rely on just the hdmi lead, i get no sound whatsoever.

Using the app on the tv, i am still limited to just 2.0 stereo, or alternatively i use the app on my xbox and get the full 5.1 i should be getting.

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i have a kd65-xf9005 and i am connected to my athem mrx720 receiver with a single h d m i cable from my receiver to the tv also i am connected by ethernet cable from tv to my sky router i get dolby 5.1 no problem but i dont get dolby atmos

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@fabiofabiani  ha scritto:

What I mean is that the issue is with the Disney+ on Android TV being unable to output DD signal on an optic cable. That's why if you use the same app with an HDMI cable you have no issue.

As I said, hope Sony fixes this!

You have to rely on Disney for this not on Sony. They are already aware of the limitation of their app, try contacting them