Join now - be part of our community!

Disney+ App - no Dolby 5.1 output

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Disney+ App - no Dolby 5.1 output

I've got the new Disney+ app now it's here in the UK, been watching stuff on it fine. I noticed last night though I'm not getting 5.1 Dolby sound on anything I stream, despite the shows being available with it. There's no options so to speak, as it automatically transmits in the highest grade it can, or so it seems.

I had an online chat with their support yesterday, and it seems to be an issue with their app, not my hardware - other apps such as Amazon Prime and Netflix work perfectly on the same settings, giving me 5.1. Disney is only in stereo however.

Strangely enough, after deleting and reinstalling the app as they suggested, when streaming an episode of The Mandalorian, for the first second or two it was showing as in 5.1 on my home theatre, but then reverted to 2.0. The tech guy has reported this problem up a level, and acknowledged that it seems a widespread issue from a quick google search.

Anyone else having the issue or come up with a fix?

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
Mushy222
Explorer

I had to go to using ARC HDMI cable. Using optical meant I could not get 5.1 or Dolby + . So I ditched the optical and using HDMI gives me the output Dolby + and 5:1.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That's probably not the case with @robstopper that I assume is using an optical connection between tv and avr and a direct hdmi from xbox and avr (that btw has a bigger audio bandwidth even compared with hdmi arc o earc)...so not a 100% problem with the app on the tv compared with the one of the console.

profile.country.GB.title
robstopper
Explorer

Correct, i am using an hdmi lead from xbox to amp, and an optical lead from tv to amp. My amp is too old to support ARC, and i gather that the disney plus app doesn't support 5.1 over optical.

My point about it being an issue with the app, and not my hardware or cabling however, is that the netflix, amazon prime, youtube apps etc, all running via the same hardware and optical cable, DO give me 5.1 dolby, ergo it IS an app issue, not hardware or cabling.

I am not going to spend £££ to replace my home cinema kit just to get the full features of one app

profile.country.GB.title
fabiofabiani
Explorer

The same is for me. I have a Sonos Playbar (plus the 5.1 kit) and the only way to connect it with my TV is via an optical cable. All my other apps, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. give me a 5.1 signal but the Disney App, after 1 second of 5.1 drops to 2.0. I have tried all options described in this forum  and the outcome is always the same. Very frustrating and disappointed with Disney and Sony on this, it seems bizarre that they cannot come together with a resolution, given it is the only app that gives me (and many of us) this issue.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I would not change the amp for Disney plus too ;). I was just outlining that the problem is the cabling and the disney stream in dd+ and the ability of the app to down scale to dd over optical. Not the tv. In the italian community there were users with the same cabling that asked to disney and confirmed. Maybe they will adjust. They say it works on hdmi arc, but see point 1.
profile.country.GB.title
Mushy222
Explorer

Yes as I said earlier in this discussion that is the issue, Disney app will not give 5:1 from tv app using optical cable output. Unfortunately for some they cannot output any other way. If you can arc using hdmi is the answer. I cannot see Disney updating to sort this issue 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AFAIK it is only up to them to recognize that there is an optical connection and downscale the audio track, while with HDMI connection (both direct or via ARC) probably they take into account the EDID information from the device

profile.country.GB.title
DennisHan
Explorer

I have exactly the same situation with Dolby Atmos and the Disney+ app. Doesn’t deliver appropriate sound quality direct from the TV app but I can get it using the Disney+ app on my Amazon Firestick. 
Nothing much appears to have changed since August last year!

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@DennisHanAtmos isn't available via the Disney+ app on Android/Google based TVs.

Beggars belief, doesn't it.

Bolton
New

I have this has a fix been found as it is sub optimal.