Join now - be part of our community!

Google voice doesnt turn tv on or off

profile.country.GB.title
Tracey335
Explorer

Google voice doesnt turn tv on or off

Anyone else having the same issues, voice control wont turn tv on or off yet will do everything else, mic and voice control is switched to on there's no other thing I can try, is this a Google problem or just me, I have 2 somy tvs and it wont work on either of them

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Which Sony TVs do you have and which firmware/ software version are they running?

After reading your question I tried Google Assist to switch off my XR-42A90K running v6.7283.

Google Assist said "OK switching off XR-42A90K" but nothing happened.

I am certain that I could shut down and start the TV via Google Assist only last week.

Interesting.

profile.country.GB.title
Nowsty

I’ve got the same problem with mY XR-55A95K Ii won’t turn on or off no more with voice only if you ask it to turn a specific channel .Its driving me mad rebooted it just updated software it’s not normal ?

profile.country.GB.title
Tracey335
Explorer

I found out if you say "turn bravia 4k off" it says "ok, turning the living room tv off" and it does it, but won't respond to "living room " or the bedroom tv  it is weird I don't know whats up with it

profile.country.GB.title
Nowsty

Just tried that she says she’s turning living room tv on but does nothing i think we need to get in touch with support its got to be an issue with google operating system and its driving me mad

profile.country.GB.title
PedalMyster
Explorer

Same issue here too, Sony XR-55A84K running the latest firmware v6.7480. 

I thought it started around the time of the firmware install, but may be a coincidence. Not sure how to check if a Google software update broke it. I've already been in touch with Sony support and they have started looking into it and I've sent a link to this chat.

Done the usual, restarting, power cycling etc. Bit the bullet yesterday and did a factory reset to no avail. Took me a couple of hours to get the TV set up to how I had it with all the app logins and settings (painful!)

profile.country.GB.title
Nowsty

Mine started a week before software update ,I think it’s a Google update in the background that’s sent it Wappy.

At least you’ve got the ball running now 👍

profile.country.GB.title
PedalMyster
Explorer

Still working with Sony Support on this but....

A workaround for now, came across this today.

Interestingly with the TV off, if I say ‘Hey Google open Disney+’ the TV does switch on and opens Disney+. The same for Netflix etc.

More interestingly, if I say ‘Hey Google open TV’ the TV comes on. To turn off if I say ‘Hey Google close TV’ it switches off……. Go figure.... and it does it without Google repeating the command which when going through a surround amp repeats it at silly decibels. I've Reported this into Sony Support.

Please let me know if this works for others.

profile.country.GB.title
Nowsty

Mines working with the tv on commands but wont turn off ? Great find though 👍