Join now - be part of our community!

Is my TV screen / panel normal ???

smashah

Is my TV screen / panel normal ???

Hi

I purchased Sony KD55X8509CBU from John Lewis, October 2015.  

For the past few weeks i noticed a small amount of clouding but thought it was normal.  However, recently the clouding seems to have grown in size and more patches have appeared.    Plus there is a hint of green to the clouding.

I have attached a few pics taken in a dark room and lit room.I hope someone can tell me if this is normal or should i contact John Lewis ?

P1020447.JPG

P1020442.JPGP1020441.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What is the clouding like when watching tv and movies.  Is it really noticable?  Only you can really judge.  If its bad, contact the retailer for an exchange. Unfortunately clouding/dse is the nature of lcd technology, but some panels are worse or better than others.

Now, what concerns me, is that you said its getting worse as time goes on.  If it continues, id definately contact the retailer 

Cheers

smashah

Hi Quinnicus 

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah the clouding is becoming worse.   Initially it was a 5 inch circle near centree of the screen but now it is bigger and square shaped as seen in the pics.  

When i watch movies via netflix, youtube or sky tv, the clouding is visible both left and right corners.  In particular during darks scenes.   One thing i noticed, recently watched the passion of christ, the scenes which were supposed to be dark were showing hint of green.

I did ring John Lewis and requested they exchange the tv but the technical guy insisted they send out an engineer to have a look at the tv.  I hope they take the tv for repairs i..e change the panel.

smashah

smashah

Update:

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  I received a phone call from John Lewis informing me they spoke to Sony UK.  I was given a reference number and told to conatct Sony UK.

I managed to call Sony today and the support staff concluded the panel was faulty.   They have arranged a replacement unit to be sent this week.   However, after the phone call i received an confirmation email regarding the replacement, it stated the replacement unit is not brand new.  It is re-certified.  As you area ware re-certified units are usually items that did not work when it was new and has been repaired and recertified by the manufacturer or manufacturers agent.  

So basically i am receiving a used televsion which was inspected and classed as new ?  

It would have been better for Sony to inform John Lewis of the outcome regarding the television needing replaced so John Lewis can actually send a replacement televion directly which i would know is brand new. 

But now i am receiving a used television which may have similar problems or other issues.

Do i accept this replacement tv ?

I hope you can reply asap

Kind regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive asked this question before to Sony to be honest - and the outcome is that Sony can either replace using new or referbished.  This has no baring on your warrantee as this should be transferred over - best to get this confirmed too.  Also, the refurbished has to go through all sorts of tests before it can be deemed suitable.

Unfortunately i cannot tell you what to do in your case, but i understand why you are hesitant.

Cheers

smashah

Hi

I spoke to Sony about the warranty, i was told once i receive the replacement i will need to call them again and provide them the new serial number so they can transfer the warranty.

Considering my television is brand new, i would have expected a new televsion.   I have also emailed John Lewis about this matter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

I think JL would be your best bet to be honest - considering if you purchased from them, your contact is with them.

Also, as you said your TV was purchased in October, have a read of my post and links to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to see if there is anything relevent

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/general-chat/consumer-rights-act-2015/m-p/2055673

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

smashah

Hi

I think Sony have already scheduled the replacement to be delivered this week, shall i refuse the delivery? 

I will also phone John Lewis and speak to them about this.   Do you recommend i should speak to the techincal department or customer service team ?

Hope u can advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I cant tell you what to do.  However, i will tell you what i would do in this situation.

I would contact John Lewis immediately.  Tell them the situation and tell them that at the time you was happy for it to be replaced, but upon recieving an email later that it would be refurbished and that you are not happy about this.  Also tell JL that as the TV was purchased via them, its their responsibility to replace/fix this.  As the TV is new and is still stocked, then it shouldnt be hard to replace it with another new one.  Speak to Cust Services team first.

Cheers