Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65X8509C Youview??? EPG Updates?

JonCC4
Explorer

KD-65X8509C Youview??? EPG Updates?

Software Version: PKG2.287.0010EuB

Anybody know if/when Youview will be available on this model. Have just purchased expecting Youview to be present (as advertised said would be available end of Aug 2015).

Also, the EPG on satellite feed (Freesat) is not preloading the tv guide - have to physically select the channel and then only the next two hours of tv guide is displayed for that one channel!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Use the link above and this one...

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

to stay informed. Also, is this thread that covers a lot more issues as well as keeping updates at the heart of it...

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/td-p/1949079

JonCC4
Explorer

Have received the latest firmware (13/10/2015) but seems to have made little difference to the EPG for freesat connection.

Have seen some mention doing a factory reset once the software update is installed - how do you do this as cannot find it within the menus.

Reading up on Youview it seems that even once it is released, it will only work via a terrestrial aerial - not satellite, and I see no mention of an update in the pipeline for the Satellite EPG. Am I the only one having problems with the satellite EPG?

Help!

NickCo1979

Your best bet if you're within your returns period is to send the set back. Even if YouView is delivered (personally I doubt Sony are capable of it now)  it will likely be terrestial only, and won't include recording.

I'd buy a non-smart 4K TV with good picture quality, save the difference in cash and Buy a Humax Freesat or YouView box which actually work and record as well.

This is precisely what I've done (although it cost me over £700 in difference between what I bought the Sony stuff for and what I solf it for (they wouldn't take it back and I couldn't be bothered arguing the SOG act with them, so they will have to just put up with me never buying another Sony product again and recommending to my friends the same)) and it actually works, I don't have to deal with Sonys abysmal customer support and it's actually cheaper then buying the Sony gear.

Get rid whilst you can.

malcolm1962

@JonCC4 wrote:

Have received the latest firmware (13/10/2015) but seems to have made little difference to the EPG for freesat connection.

Have seen some mention doing a factory reset once the software update is installed - how do you do this as cannot find it within the menus.

Reading up on Youview it seems that even once it is released, it will only work via a terrestrial aerial - not satellite, and I see no mention of an update in the pipeline for the Satellite EPG. Am I the only one having problems with the satellite EPG?

Help!

There is no Freesat EPG with these sets and no plans, as far as I am aware, to provide one. If you study Sony's specifications and any retailer's advertsing for them, there is no mention of "Freesat", only that they have satellite tuners. I understand the reason for this is that Sony will not pay the necessary licence fee to Freesat for its EPG (it has previously done so and I have Feeesat on my 7 year old Sony model).

YouView is not relevant to satellite channels, its for terrestrial channels and IPTV channels only, so yes you will need an aerial once Sony finally manages to update its firmware to include it (planned date is currently "to be advised").

I'm afraid if you wish to use the satellite channels, then the current excuse of an EPG is what you have to live with.

profile.country.GB.title
trickywiki
Explorer

I've finally found some useful information about this series of tvs having bought a 55X8509C from John Lewis.

We're in a rural area and have to rely on satellite for a decent (HD) picture. The broadband speed is next to useless which make this choice of telly next to useless.

The information and set up guide for satellite is useless or should I say non-existant. Maybe if you're a techie you can work it out. I'm techincally minded but why should I spend hours trawling through the internet just to get basic satellite functionality.

Then who want to sort through 900+ channels to find the ten or so channels they want to watch.

And then there's no EPG!

I think the suggestion to buy a 'dumb' 4K monitor and a Humax satellite tuner is the best advice I've found for this tv.

If you are thinking of buying a Sony Bravia TV to use with satellite, think again, their effort seems to be 100% behind YouView and the satellite system is a total after thought.

Edited - profanity Fran_M

trch21
Explorer

hi.from past experience satellite epg is not available on sony tv .you can only receive limited information for 2 hours after selecting channel .been that way for a few years now.

profile.country.GB.title
Visionman
Explorer

"I think the suggestion to buy a 'dumb' 4K monitor and a Humax satellite tuner is the best advice I've found for this tv.

If you are thinking of buying a Sony Bravia TV to use with satellite, think again, their effort seems to be 100% behind YouView and the satellite system is a total after thought."

This TV was never advertised as being Freesat, and nor is YouView a satellite platform or Freeview cetified. Its for digital terrestrial television only. Many users on some technical help forums would prefer the list of Sat channels you have, as opposed to a restricted Freesat EPG. Horses for courses I suppose.