Join now - be part of our community!

kd55xd7005 - poor 4k playback issues

profile.country.GB.title
Garethrobson
Explorer

kd55xd7005 - poor 4k playback issues

IV had this issue since I got the TV back in October.

When trying to play 4k video, especially HDR the videos are very stuttery and the navigation of the TV and it's menus become incredibly slow and delayed.

This happens with various video players and is happening on videos that are only around 17mbps bitrate which is much less than the apparent max supported.

I am running through a cabled connection and have performed network speed tests from the TV and this is not the problem.

I even tried to play a HDR 4k sample from demo-uhd3d via the on board storage but I got about 3fps...

Any ideas what could be wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The processor inside Sony is terribly slow and drivers terribly flaky. So it depends on a lot of factors, from source to player, but also the state of the system, so you might want to try a full reboot (long power button press). So you have to be a bit more verbose.

In Kodi I can easily play several 4K and HDR samples (over NFS and DLNA share):

30mbps VP9 2160p60 downloaded via youtube-dl (e.g. The World in HDR)

60mbps HEVC HDR10 2160p60 (Sony Camp demo)

If I play The World in HDR from inside the YouTube app, there is quite some stuttering. Also the player inside the Google Cast Receiver seems to be wasting too many CPU cycles which especially hurts when playing high frame rate content (60p).

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Garethrobson wrote:

I even tried to play a HDR 4k sample from demo-uhd3d via the on board storage but I got about 3fps...

If there is one thing that work quite well with these television that is the media player capability. I get a fluid vision even with 65 Mbps video. If you get stuttering issues with videos stored in the USB/Internal Memory something is wrong.

I would try deleting the Android cache. Setting/Memory/Internal Memory/Cache and then OK to delete. If it still doesn't work I believe your only chance is to restore the TV to factory settings. And if after a reset it still doesn't work I'm afraid you have an hardware problem. You should call Sony support and have your TV replaced/fixed.