Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
profile.country.GB.title
huggy5509
Explorer

I have tried everything with my 8509, firmware and software update on TV and Sky, setting hdmi to enhanced, factory reset... John Lewis offered a refund on TV which I purchased 10 months ago after the manager spoke to the Sony rep in store about it. 

I too noticed the apps and recommendations and settings now take ages to load  and  I seem to have juddering now scrolling through apps.

So, I have decided to take refund offer as I think with all the issues they have had with android it takes too much processing power and TV suffers, from my experience I think this firmware update allocates more processing to the picture but now nit enough processing power for android, so I do feel any "fix" will be a compromise and TV will not fully work properly.

shame as I love quality of picture without judder. 

Are the latest 2016 Sony sets affected too or just 2014/15 sets ?

Taker316
Explorer

As far as I know, only the latest 2016 the zd does not have the judder,but it also has android 6.0 so that could have something to do with it. My tv kd-65xd9305 was supposed to be 2016 model and that has the judder, perhaps not as bad as other models, but definitely there.

profile.country.GB.title
mafletc50

I spoke with Richer Sounds main customer services and they told me another fix is due next week or the following. I did say that if this doesn't fix it I will be returning it. But they said this next fix should sort it out. 

The fun part is that my local branch said it was down to the to settings and possibly be related to the cable I was using and tried to sell me a £45 hdmi cable. 

JOEC1983
Explorer

Update:

Since changing to an 18gb certified HDMI cable, installing the latest firmware update and doing a factory reset, the juddering issue has definately improved on my BT UHD box. However, the juddering did happen again on Friday so still clearly isn't completely resolved. I'm still awaiting details of the next update. Richer Sounds were told by Sony that it would be this week, but I am very sceptical as there's no official line from Sony. 

turb-z
Explorer

Hi I also have this issue with my tv 55x8509c and found this post searching for this issue. Have also updated to the latest firmware but the juddering still happens and on here you have it happening on sky/bt. I have the bt ultra hd youview box which the juddering happens on but it also happens on a shield android tv box. It don't matter which device I use it will judder on both and it happens after a little while of been turned on and once the juddering starts I reboot the tv holding the power button down which stops the juddering and won't happen again until the next time you switch the tv on to use it

gap300789
Explorer

Great this just ordered a Mutant HD51 to pair up with my 55x8509c which is due at the end of the month

Just purchased an I8gb UHD cable

I love this tv and a long term Sony fanboy

As a serial flashaholic on many Android devices, enigma2 lover, linux fan this TV takes the biscuit

For all of its failings everyone who visits my home always comments on the picture on my Tv which is wall hung (i have two of them one in living room/one in parlour)

I knew that when i purchased it, this TV aint for the weak

If Sony managed to get this TV running nice (which it is now) compared to first launch i am confident they can overcome this problem eventually

So Sony please get your heads out of your bottoms ......

cosimoss
Explorer

KD-55XD9305: Decided to use the v3.509 firmware last week. All good until Saturday when watching a recording of the latest Major Crimes (Sky) the juddering came back. It was certainly more violent then it had been before and took two restarts to clear.

This, top end, expensive TV is not fit for purpose. We'll wait until the end of this month for a further firmware update and if that is not forthcoming be seeking a refund from JL/Sony.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

I have not yet applied the USB firmware update on my 55x8509 (2015) but its clear some people are still having issues.

Do we have any information if there is another update pending to fix this issue and sony are aware the one they have supplied has not worked?

@Anonymous

thanks

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @petsmart

USA and some part of ASIA has a new firmware since yesterday. It is PKG3.531.0108.

I don't know if it is the same with EU and UK v3.509 but what I read is that:

• Improves general performance of the TV
  • Reduce input lag for HDR game (Applicable only for 4K HDR models: X85C, S85C, X90C, X93C and X94C)

Japan except above, also has an Amazon improvement.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR55X850C&LOC=3#/downloadTab

https://www.sony-asia.com./support/product/kd-55x8500c

We wait for a few days and see ......

[New]

Here is a post from US forum:

"Well, its not listed in the patch notes, but it appears the Amazon app has been improved.

Finally supports Dolby 5.1, and the overall menu movement is smoother."

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Hidden-Firmware-Update-Changes-XBR-800-900C-Series/m-p/5...

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

hi @MiCal1967

thanks for the reply and update on the firmware. Im speciofially referring to the 4K judder issues as i have sky Q - with 4k support so its still an issue for me.

I dont knwo the timescales between the country firmware releases but  this one is with the UK  providers (SKY and BT) boxes having issues.

cheers.