Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@MiCal1967 wrote:

Hi @petsmart

USA and some part of ASIA has a new firmware since yesterday. It is PKG3.531.0108.

I don't know if it is the same with EU and UK v3.509 but what I read is that:

• Improves general performance of the TV
  • Reduce input lag for HDR game (Applicable only for 4K HDR models: X85C, S85C, X90C, X93C and X94C)

Japan except above, also has an Amazon improvement.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR55X850C&LOC=3#/downloadTab

https://www.sony-asia.com./support/product/kd-55x8500c

We wait for a few days and see ......

[New]

Here is a post from US forum:

"Well, its not listed in the patch notes, but it appears the Amazon app has been improved.

Finally supports Dolby 5.1, and the overall menu movement is smoother."

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Hidden-Firmware-Update-Changes-XBR-800-900C-Series/m-p/5...

This is Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Risc0n

I think this remains 5.1.1 unfortunately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @petsmart

Specifically for the UHD Juddering Issue (Sky/BT) - I im finding out what the latest is, but the last I heard was that another FW was in testing to address this issue.  ETA Unknown

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All

The Lastest:

Sony believes that they have identified and fixed the issue and as such a new firmware update is currently in testing.  Sony hopes to roll out this new firmware around mid-November.

Thank you all for your continued patience.

frankie1g

Over the.air please not usb
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frankie1g wrote:
Over the.air please not usb

Good question - sent a follow-up email to see I can find out.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

@Anonymous thanks very much for following up and look forward to the november update.

If this is the case i wont load on the current USB recomended firmware if another one is coming (i persume it will be ok just going straight to the new)

Hopefully also over the air its much less hassle.

cheers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're Welcome @petsmart

To answer @frankie1g question : The FW Update will be rolled out via OTA and USB Download.

frankie1g

I was always suspicious of this usb only update.I suspect they had a feeling it was not. going to work.and so let.some poor buggers do.the beta test for them.
Typical sony unfortunately 
Braindrain
Explorer

Hi all,

Looks like Sony has updated their support page with a patch:

"We’re pleased to announce that a new firmware update will be available on the 7th November 2016, for customers that may still be experiencing intermittent juddering while watching 4K content via a UHD set-top box.

To further improve stability and reduce the likelihood of juddering occurring, when it’s available, please download the firmware from our support site

We thank you for your patience and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this issue has caused."

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/Juddering-issue-on-4K-TVs-with-UHD-STB-UPDA...

Seems to read like another USB update and I'm not liking the wording 'reduce' instead of 'fix'