Join now - be part of our community!

Playstation Now

SOLVED
DamianHarris
Explorer

Playstation Now

Hi

I recently purchased a Sony Bravia 4K android TV from Currys (amazing picture!) and the salesman said I could buy and keep games on the playstation now app, which was one of several factors in choosing the Sony over the Samsung or Panasonic. However, when I have been on the app this does not appear to be the case. I am a casual user and would probaly only play on FIFA and the odd driving/racing game so the monthly subscription would not be worth it. Can games be purchased and kept and if not do Sony plan to introduce this possibility in teh near future?

many thanks

Damian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Playstation Now is a subscription service only I'm afraid.

You are currently unable to download and keep games from the service.

If you are only a casual gamer, your best bet is to maybe to buy a PS3 off ebay or from somewhere like CeX. You could probably pick one up for around £50 if you look around.  PS3 games 2nd hand are super cheap too, so for the price of a couple of month of a Playstation Now subscription, you could have your own PS3 and choose which games you want to play.

I think it would be HIGHLY unlikely for Sony to add game purchases to Playstation Now, for a start, where would you store them?

The PS4 is getting PS2 backward compatibility games starting to trickle through, but the PS4 is far too underpowered to emulate PS3 games, so these will probably never be made available, unless they are released specifically remastered like the Last of Us or the Uncharted Collection.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Playstation Now is a subscription service only I'm afraid.

You are currently unable to download and keep games from the service.

If you are only a casual gamer, your best bet is to maybe to buy a PS3 off ebay or from somewhere like CeX. You could probably pick one up for around £50 if you look around.  PS3 games 2nd hand are super cheap too, so for the price of a couple of month of a Playstation Now subscription, you could have your own PS3 and choose which games you want to play.

I think it would be HIGHLY unlikely for Sony to add game purchases to Playstation Now, for a start, where would you store them?

The PS4 is getting PS2 backward compatibility games starting to trickle through, but the PS4 is far too underpowered to emulate PS3 games, so these will probably never be made available, unless they are released specifically remastered like the Last of Us or the Uncharted Collection.

DamianHarris
Explorer

I suspected as much. I wanted to avoid having another box in the lviing room and from what the salesman said in the Curry's Playstation Now would do that - obviously this is not the case.

Hopefully it is something Sony would consider in the future - storage could be via USB or cloud based.

I may look in to the PS3 see what I find.

thanks