Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia XE8077 and Bluetooth Headphones

profile.country.GB.title
ian_b63
New

Sony Bravia XE8077 and Bluetooth Headphones

Sony Bravia XE8077 and Bluetooth headphones. 

Hi, I recently purchased the above TV without really thinking about the possible need for headphones. I then purchased a PS4 pro which has since revealed that headphones could come in extremely handy. In-between times i purchased a set of Bowers and Wilkins PX headphones to use for listening to music. With the need now for headphones on the TV i investigated whether or not i could use the PX blue-tooth headphones. It turns out that the XE8077 Bravia is not built to allow the use of Bluetooth audio equipment such as the Bowers and Wilkins PX headphones. My next step was to investigate the use of a wireless bluetooth transmitter to bridge between the TV and the headphones and this is where you guys come in. You see the headphones work off aptX-HD std latency and all the transmitters I find run aptX-LL low latency as this allows for the sound/picture sync without delays. Does anyone know how to fix this, a specific transmitter that will work with the PX headphones and the TV and not create any sound/picture sync delays, or a work-around between the aptX latency's, again to utilise the same headphones with the TV. Or maybe, the PS4 Pro can come into play as it is really for when games are being played that the headphones will be used. I just assumed that going via the TV was the best option. 

This is a fair bit above my Hi-Fi/Audio/AV knowledge so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank-you and keep smilin',

Ian.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi ian_b63,

Welcome to the community.

This is a fair bit above my Hi-Fi/Audio/AV knowledge too, so I’m going to pass this on to the team to investigate! Someone will update this thread when we have more news for you. 

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
ian_b63
New

Thanks Pascale, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Ian,

Your Headphones are designed for High Definition Audio streaming, as such they probably will not satisfy your need to enjoy Audio/Video in-sync. This is due to the lack of the aptX Low Latency receiver mode. So even though you could purchase transmitters that can handle both HD and LL modes:

You still will have trouble with the delay between the video on your TV and the audio on your headphones.

The suggestion would be to either purchase new headphones meant for waching TV (supporting the aptX-LL mode), or purchase a receiver which is capable of transmitting in apt-X HD mode. You will then have to run the PS4 first to the receiver, then from the receiver to the TV through ARC. Then depending on the model, probably also tune in a fixed delay compensation directly in the receiver.

Hope you find the information useful.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
ian_b63
New

Hi Dutchice, you have pretty much just confirmed what I thought myself. i have done a wee bit of research on the old aptX codecs and it is just not going to work with my TV/Headphone combo. Any crossover in codecs wont work and using a transmitter to match the aptX-HD of my headphones will give me a delay, which can be compensated to some extent but is it really worth the bother. The headphones were purchased for audio and not tv/games, that would just have been a nice to have as well. That said I am surprised with Sony for still making some of their 4k HDR range televisions so bluetooth unfriendly. If I had really needed the TV with the headphones I would have checked it out better before buying the thing. But thanks anyway for getting back with your answer. The W & B PX headphones were rather expensive so don't really want to splash out on a different set just to then buy a transmitter that will allow me to use the PS4 quietly. Again, thanks. Ian.