Join now - be part of our community!

Help! X900F/XF90 HDR picture settings not changing automatically.

profile.country.JP.title
Sammy_Kneen
Explorer

Help! X900F/XF90 HDR picture settings not changing automatically.

Hi there,

I’m having a problem with the X900F when switching between SDR and HDR content on the PS4 Pro over HDMI in Game Mode.

When I start up a HDR game the only settings that automatically change are my Brightness setting to Max and X-Tended Dynamic Range to High, and they automatically change back to the original setting when I leave HDR which is good.

However, any other settings don’t change automatically so for example if I change Contrast or Local Dimming when in SDR then it overwrites my HDR setting for it and vice versa.

I’d like to have my Local Dimming setting at Low for SDR and High for HDR but I can’t without manually changing it back every time I enter/exit HDR.

I’m just wondering whether anyone can confirm if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my set? If it’s normal is there any chance it’ll be fixed in a future update? It’s really inconvenient having to adjust all my picture settings except Brightness and X-Tended Dynamic Range every time I switch from SDR to HDR and vice versa.

Really hope someone can help!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Sammy,

The very basic difference between HDR and SDR is that in HDR mode, the TV increases the brightness and dynamic range to the max which explains why the two related settings change automatically but I don't think that HDR/SDR are made to be profiles that each has its own saved preferences.

In other words, you can think of the video mode option as a separate setting along side the other options such as local dimming or contrast in the sense that changing one doesn't necessarily change the other (with the exception of brightness and dynamic range).

It's also worth mentioning that you can still reduce either brightness and dynamic range while in HDR mode although that would reduce the effect and hence would be counter-intuitive.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.JP.title
Sammy_Kneen
Explorer

Hi there,

That makes sense, thankyou for your reply.