Join now - be part of our community!

What an awful Television

profile.country.GB.title
FeelingOld
Explorer

What an awful Television

I have a (fairly) recently purchased Sony Android Ultra HD TV.  My family wanted to sync their Google accounts (Google Play Movies etc) with the TV.  In Settings you can 'Add Accounts' - which I was able to do producing a list of available accounts, each of which can be 'Synced' in the Settings menu.. 

However my joy was shortlived; the TV only displayed the Library of the first added account.

I then spent the whole of September in a dialogue with Sony Support, who tried to explain how I should do what I was attempting..... they seemd to think I should be able to view the 'Added' accounts.

After repeated responses by me saying that there appeared to be no means to actually 'Select' an account, the last email today stated I had to delete all accounts other than the one I wished to display.  

I am particulalry amazed as the on-screen help file seems to suggest that I should be able to view other accounts, and internet searches also seems to suggest this.

I can only conclude the Sony design is at fault and they don't really care.

Just to add further problems for me:

1.  The Digital Tuner on auto-tune does not select the optimum transmitter.  The picture suffers from a lot of interference. Manual tuning ability is poor (I downloaded lists of Freview transmitters and tried to select specific channels, but did not fully succeed) and so I now use an external Freeview Box which allows me to select from available specfic regions (and even lists the town I am resident in)..... result now No Intereference.

2. HD Recording - most of them fail, and I even suffered, when attempting to record a series, with the final two episodes not being recorded. I did note that the TV had seemingly decided to update itself during the timeframe of the series, so I assume it decided to delete all the recording events. 

3. Periodic lockups, requiring me to force a reboot / power cycling.

I am not happy.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes. Those TVs are awful. The delivered performance by all included parties is bad, so Sony, MediaTek and Google.

The account problem should be a Google Android TV issue I suppose. My TV did not yet receive the Nougat update, so I can't comment on that.

You can find my review of those Sony Android TVs here. I am also maintaining a list of bugs which I experience on a daily basis, see here.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

FeelingOld wrote:

I am not happy.

Welcome to the club...

I wish Sony would release a squeezed, working OS for all Bravia UHD televisions, interchangeable with Android TV (thus allowing to switch back and forth if one isn't satisfied) where all dumb TV features are fully supported. I don't know, maybe the one in the XE70? If that works.

I would buy a TV set top box (like the Apple TV 4k, Roku or Nvidia Shield) being sure that its broken Android TV wouldn't get in the middle. And without having to spend hours just to change the volume or going into the settings..

Because let's be clear: even if Sony/Mediatek will deliver a bug free Android TV the performances in the current Android Bravia will always be disappointing. That SoC is simply too slow (benchmarks in hand). I have been through the same pain with my first Android phone, and no matter what ROM I installed the performances never improved a bit.