Join now - be part of our community!

XE8505 not sending 5.1 surround using built in SAT receiver (only PCM 2.0)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
JL-help-me
Explorer

XE8505 not sending 5.1 surround using built in SAT receiver (only PCM 2.0)

Hi Sony Community, I wanted to see if someone could help me.

I am only getting 2 channel (PCM 2.0) audio out of my TV using the built in Sat receiver. I want (5.1) Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital + or ()multi-channel surround PCM audio.

I have a Sony Bravia KD 55XE8505 connected to a Marantz SR6011 A/V receiver. I am using the XE8505’s built in Satellite receiver as the source connected to the A/V Receiver with HDMI (ARC).

When using the Satellite, my receiver shows that it is only getting PCM - 2 channels as input.

Important to mention is that when I watch Netflix using the App built into the TV, the receiver shows that I am getting Dolby Digital 5.1 as input (using the same HDMI ARC cable).

Does anyone have any idea how I can get 5.1 out of my TV with the built in Sat receiver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JL-help-me,

@JL-help-me  schrieb:

I also live in Germany.

what a coincidence :yahoo:

The German Community would be located here - https://community.sony.de/t5/deutsche-community/ct-p/de - just FYI :wink:

@JL-help-me  schrieb:

Do you  know if there are any stations that broadcast 5.1 audio on Astra by chance?

I thinkn "Servus TV" (the RedBull TV station) broadcasts everything in 5.1 audio. I could be wrong though.

I generally only watch Sky to be honest :confused:

Also the Prime-Time-Movies on ProSieben should be broadcasted in 5.1 as well as some movies and series on ZDF and ARD :thinking:

It could be that you need to change to the correct audio-track though, which should be possible via the options when watching TV via the inbuild tuner.

I sadly don't own the TV model you have, so I can't give you a more detailed answer on where it is located in the menu.

- Nic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JL-help-me,

that depends on the audio-format the TV station offers for each program.

At least here in Germany (where I live) sometimes only Prime-Time-Movies offer 5.1 audio on freeview channels, while Pay-TV (like Sky) offers 5.1 output for nearly every program.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JL-help-me
Explorer

Moin IamNic,

That could explain it.. I am recieving Sat via Astra (free-to-air). I also live in Germany. Do you  know if there are any stations that broadcast 5.1 audio on Astra by chance? I would like to see if there is a way to test this. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JL-help-me,

@JL-help-me  schrieb:

I also live in Germany.

what a coincidence :yahoo:

The German Community would be located here - https://community.sony.de/t5/deutsche-community/ct-p/de - just FYI :wink:

@JL-help-me  schrieb:

Do you  know if there are any stations that broadcast 5.1 audio on Astra by chance?

I thinkn "Servus TV" (the RedBull TV station) broadcasts everything in 5.1 audio. I could be wrong though.

I generally only watch Sky to be honest :confused:

Also the Prime-Time-Movies on ProSieben should be broadcasted in 5.1 as well as some movies and series on ZDF and ARD :thinking:

It could be that you need to change to the correct audio-track though, which should be possible via the options when watching TV via the inbuild tuner.

I sadly don't own the TV model you have, so I can't give you a more detailed answer on where it is located in the menu.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JL-help-me
Explorer

Thanks Nic.. that was it..

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JL-help-me,

thank you for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Glad I could resolve your issue.

- Nic