Join now - be part of our community!

CMT-CPX1 replacement remote control

fishLuke
Explorer

CMT-CPX1 replacement remote control

Does anybody know where I could get a remote control replacement for the CMT-CPX1. I accept that I am unlikely to find the original one, but the Sony website support are refusing to help.

I just need any Sony remote control that will fulfill the basic functions of turning the hi-fi on and off and adjusting the volume, so surely there is an available replacement somewhere that would do that.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive checked all the usual parts suppliers, but unfortunately none of them have any stock available.

However, Amazon comes up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Sony-CMT-CPX1-Remote-Control/dp/B015M7SS90

Cheers

fishLuke
Explorer

That's not actually the correct remote. It's RM-SMR1. I don't really want to pay £21 for it either. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You are quite right.  That remote (RM-SC3) is compatible with the CMT-CPX11.  The RM-SMR1 is simply not available anywhere ive looked (even on Ebay).  

However many Sony remotes can work with other Sony Products.  What i can do is find out from one of my contacts within Sony if the RM-SC3 can work on the CMT-CPX1 - considering it also has the same buttons in a slightly different layout.  If it is, its just the case of finding the cheapest place.

Will post back when I have an answer.

Cheers

fishLuke
Explorer

I would also have thought the Sony would have used the same IR codes for a lot of hi-fi type products. Therefore I imagine there would be quite a few options, I just don't know which ones.

Maybe even more modern and more readily avaiable controllers would work. I was trying to get this information from Sony but they just told me to look for the original controller at "other spares dealers". Not very helpful at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony will only stick to their products and quite often the official line too.  They will not guarantee compatibility on any other brands or generic remote controls either - which i doubt they would know anyhow.

Unless another forum member has this exact hifi system and can confirm models of other remotes that work - or your willing to experiment by purchasing different remotes, then the only way i can assist you is see if other Sony remotes from similar systems will work.  As you rightly say, the IR codes will likely be the same, but cannot be guaranteed especially if products are rather different.

fishLuke
Explorer

Disappointing that Sony take this view rather than helping their customers. I just want to know which Sony controllers are compatible (ie have the same IR codes) but obviously this is too much trouble.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have receieved some information - it is not 100% guarranteed, however my contact is pretty sure that the RM-SC3 remote should work on the CMT-CPX1 system.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers

fishLuke
Explorer

Thanks, I'll have to try and find one that doesn't cost the earth.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome :slight_smile: