Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N7200W problem with Panasonic recorded bluray discs

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
PAUL376692
Explorer

BDV-N7200W problem with Panasonic recorded bluray discs

I have a Panasonic BluRay recorder (DMR-BWT740) and the discs I've recorded will not play on the Sony system even though I'm following the advice given in the manual.

Does anyone else have this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@PAUL376692

Hi,

I own a Panasonic Blu-ray Recorder (DMR-BWT720EB), Sony will not sell their version to us here in the West but that's another gripe :angry: Anyway, the issue lies with the Panasonic default recording format. You will notice that all recordings are in 'DR' mode which is a compressed format that Panasonic use to save HDD space. Sony players are incapable of translating this format, you may see a picture but there will be no sound - which is something to do with the HE-AAC audio that UK HD channels use, it does mention in your instruction manual that some recorded discs may not be compatible with other players because of the audio codec.

So, if you want to burn a recording to Blu-ray disc and play back the disc on anything other than a Panasonic unit you need to convert the format prior to recording. Out of interest the format may actually be changed prior to recording to the HDD when you set up the record function to save time later.

Let's assume that you have recorded something from a HD channel in DR mode. Open Direct Navigator, select the recording then press Options. Select Edit then File Conversion. You will be presented with a new window, from here you can select the type of file conversion you require. I have two Sony players (BDV-N9100W & BDP-S5200), I can confirm that these players will play the recorded Blu-ray discs properly when selecting 'HG' mode in the File Conversion window. 'HG' is the highest quality recording format next to 'DR' mode which will work, you could select 'HX' which is slightly less quality. You will notice that, once converted, the file size of the recording is actually larger than it was and therefore using more disc space on the Panasonic. Now burn the recording to Blu-ray disc.

The picture quality is next to no difference to that of the original recording but the HE-AAC audio will have been converted to 2ch stereo or 3.1 surround depending on the program type that was transmitted. This will now play on your Sony unit.

This information is regarding HD quality recordings and not SD (why would you record SD onto Blu-ray anyway ?)

It matters not the manufacturer / brand of disc. Both BD-R and BD-RE discs will work.

I hope this helps ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I guess it comes down to the types of discs you are using.  The Sony Bluray player supports the following:

_20160304_182053.JPG

Can you confirm?

PAUL376692
Explorer

It appears that I am using the correct BD-R.

I have tried Verbatim and Panasonic discs.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@PAUL376692

Hi,

I own a Panasonic Blu-ray Recorder (DMR-BWT720EB), Sony will not sell their version to us here in the West but that's another gripe :angry: Anyway, the issue lies with the Panasonic default recording format. You will notice that all recordings are in 'DR' mode which is a compressed format that Panasonic use to save HDD space. Sony players are incapable of translating this format, you may see a picture but there will be no sound - which is something to do with the HE-AAC audio that UK HD channels use, it does mention in your instruction manual that some recorded discs may not be compatible with other players because of the audio codec.

So, if you want to burn a recording to Blu-ray disc and play back the disc on anything other than a Panasonic unit you need to convert the format prior to recording. Out of interest the format may actually be changed prior to recording to the HDD when you set up the record function to save time later.

Let's assume that you have recorded something from a HD channel in DR mode. Open Direct Navigator, select the recording then press Options. Select Edit then File Conversion. You will be presented with a new window, from here you can select the type of file conversion you require. I have two Sony players (BDV-N9100W & BDP-S5200), I can confirm that these players will play the recorded Blu-ray discs properly when selecting 'HG' mode in the File Conversion window. 'HG' is the highest quality recording format next to 'DR' mode which will work, you could select 'HX' which is slightly less quality. You will notice that, once converted, the file size of the recording is actually larger than it was and therefore using more disc space on the Panasonic. Now burn the recording to Blu-ray disc.

The picture quality is next to no difference to that of the original recording but the HE-AAC audio will have been converted to 2ch stereo or 3.1 surround depending on the program type that was transmitted. This will now play on your Sony unit.

This information is regarding HD quality recordings and not SD (why would you record SD onto Blu-ray anyway ?)

It matters not the manufacturer / brand of disc. Both BD-R and BD-RE discs will work.

I hope this helps ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Jonnie1266 - ive learnt something new :slight_smile:

PAUL376692
Explorer

Jonnie, I owe you a beer!

Many thanks