Join now - be part of our community!

HT-ZF9 sound drops out

profile.country.GB.title
GB-London
New

HT-ZF9 sound drops out

Our HT-ZF9 with rear surround speakers puts out some terrific sound. But, almost two years on, annoying random audio drop-outs continue. The unit, along with all of our other gear, is connected to our Sony KD65XF9005 with high-quality HDMI 2.0 cables. This issue was documented by consumers shortly after the HT-ZF9 was introduced two years ago. We keep the system software up-to-date. Hard resets by cutting power to the unit work as a fix less and less.

I'm stunned that Sony has not come up with a resolution yet. 

Is anyone else still experiencing this problem. Has anyone solved the problem?

70 REPLIES 70
profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

the only step the support agent suggested was a factory reset and to make sure the firmware was up to date, when i confirmed a reset had been done and it was already up to date they said "you'll need to go to a service agent" and essentially nothing more they could do.

profile.country.GB.title
MarkG1234

I got the same fob off from Sony.  My sub is constantly cutting out.  No amount of moving it around, changing settings, firmware updates or factory resets has changed any aspect of this cutting out behaviour.

I have already spent a significant amount of time relocating my router, and hard wiring everything nearby, with no changes in performance whatsoever.

I believe there is a design issue with this product and Sony are burying their head in the sand until the warranty has expired, and then telling users to pay for service, in the hope they don't bother (as there is no fix).

Not cool Sony.   Your product and lack of support has earned this product a 1 star Amazon and Sony a 1 star trustpilot review.  It's not ethical or legal to churn out faulty products onto the market and then wash your hands of it.

profile.country.GB.title
rjm1967

I can’t remember where I found the “solution” now, but hardwiring the sub has stopped the problem for me. Hasn’t happened since then (about two months). There is a blanking panel on the back of the soundbar and the sub that you have to carefully prise off and it connects using a standard 3.5mm audio cable. No need to do the surround speakers, if you have them.

profile.country.GB.title
MarkG1234

Is this panel there on units in all regions?  I did look into this before, and I found a panel on (I think) the sub, but not the soundbar (or it could be the other way around).

This is likely the path to the solution, as despite it doing this since new, there is so much trial and error to diagnose an intermittent fault so many things to try out, the warranty has now expired.  Sony Service will no doubt take my money to "fix" it, and then claim there is no fault and return the unit but not the "repair" fee.

profile.country.GB.title
Jharps

Still no solid fix then guys and gals?

profile.country.GB.title
MarkG1234

Being given the runaround.  I know how sony are going to spin this, I worked in Sony service many years ago.  They will never admit there is an inherent fault, and I will end up paying money to get a no fault found response.

I have given up and hard wired the subwoofer.  I might have to do the rears also, the jury is out on those still.

Sony made bad design choices that arent compatible with home network as networks that tend to jump channels to find the best channels.

profile.country.GB.title
Jharps

hey guys

this update is available for xh range  

known issues with 5.1 output

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xh90xx_x90xxh_x91xxh_xh92xx-series/kd-55x...

ill be giving it a go.

cheers

Jharps

profile.country.GB.title
MarkG1234

How does this relate to the soundbar?  I have a LG OLED and the soundbar is just as bad with that.

profile.country.GB.title
Jharps

I seemed to have had stable sound for last few days!

I turned earc off on both xh9005 and ht-zf9

seems to be sweet ..... For now!!!

Leesuker
Explorer

This is very frustrating and Sony just say upgrade software and ensure good cables. Argh! If not solved soon I will be returning as not fit for purpose.