Join now - be part of our community!

str-dn 1080 stand-by high power-consumption

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

str-dn 1080 stand-by high power-consumption

Hi all,

Finally had the chance to measure the power-consumption on this receiver, whooping 59 watts in stand-by, and while  playing loud around 75-90  watts. This cant be normal..?

Also noticed a slight 50 Hz hum from what I presume is the transformer, regardless in stand-by or on mode. Have read another thread regarding the Wake-up-LAN feature missing on European models and high power-consumption, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

mirrormurr

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

Have to add,  that I've opened a ticket to the support, I will  keep you all posted

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

59 watts in standby mode, wow! My APAC region model uses 31w to 35w with Network Standby enabled. Alot higher than the advertised 1.5w (now removed from the Sony website):

IMG_20190729_115422.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

This will be my 3rd attempt to continue this thread, previous updates were, weirdly enough not posted, but here we go:

Long story short: receiver is going to rehab, Sony support acknowledged the problem after a couple of emails with the usual attempts: reset, unplug all devices, update software etc. which had no effect, with this reply:

Kindly note that the unit now will need to be inspected by an engineer as the explanation you provided does not look within the specification of the product.

In this case, you may refer to your local Sony support for further assistance with the product."

"Not within parameters" is in my opinion, quite an understatement;  the specifications on any European site still states the 0,4 w consumption on standby and 1,5w on network-standby as opposed to my device using 59w!

And then follow gloomy days while waiting to get that crispy sound back in our living room..

murr

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Thanks for the update. Sony tech support are not replying to my support ticket. It's been 3 months since their last reply!

I would be interested to see if they can fix it, because there a bunch of other people whose receivers most likely use more than 20x the advertised specifications!!

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

little update for you waiting to see if the power-beast can be tamed;

device is now waiting for a new transformer to arrive from Belgium, so it's gonna be another week or so until I can give a full report on how it all went,

murr

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

After 3 months of silence on my support ticket (Sony engineers were supposed to be investigating the issue), I chased the ticket up. Guess what? They started the whole troubleshooting steps script from the very beginning again!!?? So I answered their questions and now dead silence again!!

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

How frustrating, after the last report I got on my repair, I don't have high hopes to resolve the high consumption issue. I didn't pick up the device yet, but the tech-guys in elvia.cz had the transformer replaced and claimed the high standby power-consumption is like this by design. To me it looks, Sony made an error while having the str-dn 1080 on the drawing-board and chose to lie about it afterwards.

Gonna do a few tests and give a  full report in a couple of days when the receiver is back from rehab..

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Somehow I'm not at all surprised. Thanks for the update.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

Got the receiver back from the local authorized repair-centre (elvia.cz) and after a replacement of the transformer, I can sadly confirm that the Sony STR-DN1080 has a serious design-flaw.

The stand-by consumption has been reduced from 60w to around in 30w, in any stand-by mode, with or without hdmi-pass-through and the hum is fortunately less present as before the repair, but still audible in a silent room.

The repair-centre confirmed that the part replaced was an original, had to be ordered from Belgium, which indicates it had to be some kind of a no-standard transformer and that the unusual high stand-by consumption was as they put it "due to the construction of the device"

Now I am actually wondering if this device actually should be allowed sold on a European market, as it must be in violation of all kinds of EU-regulations.