Join now - be part of our community!

str-dn 1080 stand-by high power-consumption

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

str-dn 1080 stand-by high power-consumption

Hi all,

Finally had the chance to measure the power-consumption on this receiver, whooping 59 watts in stand-by, and while  playing loud around 75-90  watts. This cant be normal..?

Also noticed a slight 50 Hz hum from what I presume is the transformer, regardless in stand-by or on mode. Have read another thread regarding the Wake-up-LAN feature missing on European models and high power-consumption, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

mirrormurr

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

That is probably why (in my opinion) Network Standby is missing from the Settings menu on the EU version of this receiver, i.e. to avoid using more than 12w (or whatever the EU regulation says, I forget) when on Network Standby.

This makes me suspect that they knew all along. Because if the receiver only used the advertised 1.5w on Network Standby, then there would be no point in disabling this feature on EU models because it would be well within EU regulations already!

Just my personal opinion/guess.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

Yeah, I also suspect there is some shady decisions concerning the network-standby and EU-devices.

Nevertheless, 30w is still 60 (!) times more than allowed for a device that has been shut down or is at low-power-mode, at least taking these regulations into consideration:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/energy-climate-change-environment/standards-tools-and-labels/products-labe...

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Here it says 3 to 12 watts for Network Standby depending on the device:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/energy-climate-change-environment/standards-tools-and-labels/products-labe...

profile.country.GB.title
allanp81

I really wish I could get my money back on this amp, it's not fit for purpose in my opinion. It might sound great but it has so many bugs that it needs an overhaul. Wake on lan doesn't work, idle standby is 30 watts if you enable remote start or whatever it's called and now the HDMI-CEC issue with it always opening up the Home screen for no obvious reason.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

profile.country.GB.title
allanp81

Exactly, it's a great sounding amp but just massively let down by the software inside that Sony seem to have no interest in fixing. By using the HDMI-CEC feature I thought I'd got around the nonsense of having no wake on lan available ( like my 6+ year old Yamaha amp did flawlessly while using virtually no power in standby...) but now with the stupid thing of it opening up the home screen instead this amp is just infuriating.

profile.country.GB.title
joth__
Explorer

(Just registered to post here)

I bought my STR-DN1080 early 2018, and noticed a similar issue late last year. I expect it had be sucking 60W permanently for a 18 months by that point, so already costing me some £100 in wasted electricity!

I have a Sony TV too and I know that did all manner of tricks to pass the EU 1.5W directive, constantly disconnecting from the network and reconnecting once per 5mins, and gives a warning if you connect an amp to it that standby power usage will increase, so thought maybe they intended similar in the amp but failed.

I did do one complete master reset and got it back to 1W draw in standby, but as soon as I use any of the network services it permanently switches to drawing 30W in standby, 60W when 'on'. (So better than before the master reset, but not as good).

@mirrormurr do you have yours connected to the network via wired erthernet or Wifi? I did read some people find the wifi connection is lower power (BUT it disables all Chromecast / remote streaming function when in standby). I've not been able to recreate that though. 

(Also, many thanks for sharing your encounter with attempting to get it addressed)

>  Now I am actually wondering if this device actually should be allowed sold on a European market, as it must be in violation of all kinds of EU-regulations.

I definitely agree. There's numerous independent reports of this on different forums now. I also think What HiFi should strike it from the best-buy list, and moreover start measuring standby power consumption as a matter of course as the network AV receivers are increasingly going to be "always on" devices and the sum of wasted energy across all the devices sold doesn't bear thinking about.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

An old thread, but I realized the latter post deserved an update. Any network standby keeps consumption around 30 w. Bluetooth standby measures around 1.5 w. The new firmware has somehow messed up Chromecast and Bluetooth receiver-functions, though.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

New update uses the same 30w to 31w on Network Standby for me. No problems with the built-in Chromecast for me. Maybe do a factory reset - it solves as multitude of problems.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormurr

A factory-reset did the job, the receiver now ticks like it should.

I also have a slight impression that the Chrome-cast-part of the system reacts slightly faster, although it might be the  expectation-bias playing with my mind...

Tags (2)