Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN860 Does not work!

SOLVED
kenleex
Explorer

STR-DN860 Does not work!

Plugged in a new one of these to replace my ageing ONKYO. Good job I kept the old one!

Set up screen came up fine - set up the speakers fine.

When I went to set up the network the screen scrambled on the set up page - it was just viewable. A mass of very fuzzy colours.

Upgraded the siftware - it made some of the screens worse!

The device will not play a DVD (I've tried two different players) again it just scrambles the video with the sound OK.

Have been through all the settings to no avail.

All cables have been renewed. The devices play fine when plugged directly into the TV HDMI.

It's going back obviously, but would anybody like to help with the post mortem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
feldo172
Explorer

Finally, a resolution!

After calling Sony tech support and spending a couple hours on the phone with their representatives in the Philippines (during which I was disconnected twice), the issue has seemingly been resolved.

My BD player (Sony BDP S6500) is capable of a video output upscaled to 4K; likewise, the STR-DN860 receiver is marketed as a 4K capable home theatre receiver. Unfortunately, my Epson 3500 home theatre projector is only 1080p capable. So even though the BD player worked perfectly when connected directly to the projector, inserting the receiver, for some reason, caused the video signal to be "upgraded" to the 4K signal, which the projector couldn't process. Changing the output settings for 4K output, 24P output and Deep Color on the BD player from "automatic" to "off" seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why the receiver would willingly pass through elements of a 4K signal to a 1080p projector. Apparently since the receiver is able to receive and send 4K signals, which is what it received from the BD player, it just passed them along. 

Thanks to all who offered their help and advice! Hopefully this will benefit others with similar issues.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
feldo172
Explorer

Did you ever get any answer on this issue?

I'm having the same issue with a brand new STR-DN860 receiver connected to all new components with new cables, etc. BD player works fine connected directly to my projector. Try to hook it through the receiver and there's no picture; there's not even any video signal. Audio works fine, but absolutely no video.

Also had the same video issues as you during setup. First 'menu' screen looked fine. All others after that appeared with the 'fuzzy' colors. Very difficult to read or decipher.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sounds like a HDMI connectivity issue.  Please have a read through this and see if it helps.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/hdmi-problems-troubleshooting-steps/td-p/2141941

Cheers

feldo172
Explorer

Thanks for the prompt reply, Quinnicus.

With the exception of the HDMI-CEC Less adaptor, I've already tried all of the troubleshooting tips outlined in the 'HDMI Problems – Troubleshooting Steps' page referenced above. My components are all brand new: Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player, Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3500 projector, and Sony STR-DN860 receiver.

The Bluray works fine connected directly to the projector.

Setting up the receiver, with nothing else connected to the projector, I noticed many of the sub-menus were nearly unreadable due to "fuzzy" and discolored graphics. The receiver's audio still appeared to work normally, however. Trying different HDMI cables and different inputs on the projector had no effect.

Connecting the Bluray player to the receiver also showed issue with the video. The audio passed through the receiver without any problem. However, absolutely no video was passed through. Again, trying different cables, different inputs on the receiver and different inputs on the projector had no effect. The projector continued to display the message "no signal" on the screen, even as the Bluray audio played perfectly.

The HDMI CEC-less adapter, if I'm correctly understanding it's intended use, doesn't appear to solve any issues that pertain to my particular problem. The signal passes properly from Bluray to projector when connected directly; only the addition of the receiver causes the video problems to materialize.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The CEC-Less adaptor is not your issue.  The issue is the connection between the STR-DN860 and your projector.  Sound will work if a Bluray player is connected to the DN860, as its feeding the audio directly to the speakers.

So, what can you do.... As you have connected a Bluray directly to the projector, the assumption is that both those devices are working correctly without fault.  Obviously I can only guess on the fault according to information provided, but it seems to be that the HDMI (TV OUT) port is faulty.

Going on the assumption of a hardware fault on the HDMI port, I would contact your retailer you purchased it from and get them to exchange it as its brand new.

I cant think of anything else that could assist to be honest, as you have done all the troubleshooting steps.

Please keep us informed on what happens and if the exchange DN860 works.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Just a stab in the dark here but does it have something to do with the output resolution of the projector? I'm sure I read on the US forums something about this issue, I can't find it now 😞

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
feldo172
Explorer

Finally, a resolution!

After calling Sony tech support and spending a couple hours on the phone with their representatives in the Philippines (during which I was disconnected twice), the issue has seemingly been resolved.

My BD player (Sony BDP S6500) is capable of a video output upscaled to 4K; likewise, the STR-DN860 receiver is marketed as a 4K capable home theatre receiver. Unfortunately, my Epson 3500 home theatre projector is only 1080p capable. So even though the BD player worked perfectly when connected directly to the projector, inserting the receiver, for some reason, caused the video signal to be "upgraded" to the 4K signal, which the projector couldn't process. Changing the output settings for 4K output, 24P output and Deep Color on the BD player from "automatic" to "off" seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why the receiver would willingly pass through elements of a 4K signal to a 1080p projector. Apparently since the receiver is able to receive and send 4K signals, which is what it received from the BD player, it just passed them along. 

Thanks to all who offered their help and advice! Hopefully this will benefit others with similar issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant - thanks for posting back :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Blimey..., I actually guessed right for a change! 

Glad you got it sorted out finally :laughing: Couldn't find a smug grin so smiley laugh will have to do.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14