Join now - be part of our community!

video keeps pausing

profile.country.GB.title
silvamayflower
Explorer

video keeps pausing

For a few weeks now I have had this problem:  video and sound (in particular Youtube vid and BBC sounds) keep pausing, resume when the arrow head is pressed, but then stop again moments later.

First I tried restarting the phone.  Then I tried emptying cache.  Finally I tried installing a trusted cleaner, but it didn't work on my phone so I uninstalled.  I also checked for apparent rogue apps.  Then I switched my consuming to another device and hoped an update would solve it.  Eventually I factory reset my phone - and still it happens.

Today I went through the apps again, and uninstalled a few I didn't need, and a few I can replace.  Still it happens.

I read everywhere that it must be an app, which is my suspicion, but how, without uninstalling the lot, can I tell which is the rogue - or whether there might be another reason.

It looks as though I'm going to have to use my inferior device until upgrade time otherwise - which is about 18 months away!

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there, so the issue doesn't happen with all of the videos or media on your device?

profile.country.GB.title
silvamayflower
Explorer

I would say yes,it very likely does happen with all audio/video media:  as I reported, I can't play BBC sounds or YouTube.  Before I replied to you, I also tried Netflix and BBC iPlayer with the same results.  I figure it might be an app, but I can't trace it - without starting all over again, I mean.  Any suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

You can try to troubleshoot these apps from the steps and this link and check if it will work or not: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00235707

profile.country.GB.title
silvamayflower
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.  I tried your solutions on the main two apps that are faulting: BBC sounds and YouTube (though there are others where video/audio refuses to play - ie starts and then stops very quickly.  No change.

Please note:  I have 114 apps on my phone.  I can't identify one I have uploaded recently, so I suspect that if it is an app at fault, it must be an update.  Might you be telling me that the only way I can possibly identify this problem - video stopping (not pausing, actually stopping) with the above two apps and others with video - would be to go through all the steps with each app, then test out the video/sound apps again?  I do wish there were some other way.  I miss being able to click on a youtube vid or switch my radio to my phone - even though the sound on this phone is not good.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

You can try to enable safe mode on your device , that will disable all the third party apps, but you'll still be able to test YouTube as it is a preinstalled app, and check if the same thing will happen or not ?

Also what is the model of your device ?

profile.country.GB.title
silvamayflower
Explorer

Thank you. That worked. When I enabled safe mode, YouTube ran without a
problem.

My phone is an Xperia L4.

Sylvia
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Are you wearing earphones when this occurs by any chance?

profile.country.GB.title
silvamayflower
Explorer

No - no earphones. It just stops after a few seconds of play. As it
doesn't happen in safe mode, I'm assuming it's an app. Any easy way of
telling?

Sylvia
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

No real way to tell aside from removing 3rd party apps, in order from the apps installed most recently to when you noticed the behaviour.