Join now - be part of our community!

Replacement Sony 4K TV offered under warranty - Need Advice

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Lalami1990
Explorer

Replacement Sony 4K TV offered under warranty - Need Advice

Hello,

I am hoping if someone could offer some advice (preferbly from someone who has had their TV replaced directly with Sony before). I have a Sony 4K TV (KD-65X9005A) that I've owned for seven months now and I have been in the middle of an on-going battle with Sony to have my TV repaired or replaced as I had found lots of dust and debris building up in between the glass panel and the LCD panel. At first they were refusing to do anything with the TV claiming that it isn't a manufacturing fault but after months of headaches, they have finally agreed to replace it but they are refusing to replace it with a brand new TV.

Many different people that I have spoken to at Sony keep giving me a different responce as to wether it is a refurbished TV or one that has been previously repaired or one that someone has returned etc. A tech support rep told me that they are repackaged TVs that have been returned as faulty and repaired and quality checked and repackaged without any accessories whereas a rep at the customer relations office told me that they are brand new from the factory line and have been through the quality control process more than once and are packaged without accessories and used for replacements.

I tried asking for a brand new TV but the customer relations rep replied with "Well then go out and buy one" and when I asked for a possibility of a refund, I was told "No, I definetly won't be doing that". I really have no idea what to do at this stage and could really appriciate some input.

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Lalami1990 

Unfortunately I do not work for Sony or any other affiliated company, so I am unable to do anything about customer services response.  However I do have some contacts within Sony, who have provided me the following in regards to refurbished or new TV and how its decided.

Hope this helps

Cheers

---------

In general for TV  replacements, it depends on 3 factors: size, area and warranty. I mean it depends on this if we replace or repair a TV. (There's also the type of defect that may be of impact - LCD/mainboard or smaller repair).

In case of replacement, it again depends on stock. For each TV there is a certain stock foreseen for service replacements. We do of course refurbish those that we replaced. This whole idea is really about ease of handling,

For bigger TV's it takes time to replace majyor parts and it is also too costly to stock such parts up-front.

Now, in this person's case, seen he's saying his TV had an issue discovered after 7 months, I'd presume it safe to say he'll get a refurbished one. However, we're talking completely reviewed products. In my personal opinion, these would at least be as good as a brand new one.

Also, we can organise the replacement, but we'll never know upfront at that point which TV will be issued. I happens that for some models we no longer have a replacement, and then we'll propose an alternative model.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Lalami1990 

Let me do some digging on this in regards to the policy on a replacement of either referbished or new and I'll get back to you.  Unfortunately I dont have any experience on this, however Im sure Ive asked this question before, and the answer was something like (no guarrantees of new).

Your quotes from Customer Relations sound quite....abrupt too. 

I'll post back if/when I receive the information.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Lalami1990
Explorer

Hello @Anonymous 

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. Unfortunately that was how the Customer Relations rep spoke to me on the phone. I'm not sure if you're able to listen back on the call or not but I really hope you can so that you can see what I meant. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Lalami1990 

Unfortunately I do not work for Sony or any other affiliated company, so I am unable to do anything about customer services response.  However I do have some contacts within Sony, who have provided me the following in regards to refurbished or new TV and how its decided.

Hope this helps

Cheers

---------

In general for TV  replacements, it depends on 3 factors: size, area and warranty. I mean it depends on this if we replace or repair a TV. (There's also the type of defect that may be of impact - LCD/mainboard or smaller repair).

In case of replacement, it again depends on stock. For each TV there is a certain stock foreseen for service replacements. We do of course refurbish those that we replaced. This whole idea is really about ease of handling,

For bigger TV's it takes time to replace majyor parts and it is also too costly to stock such parts up-front.

Now, in this person's case, seen he's saying his TV had an issue discovered after 7 months, I'd presume it safe to say he'll get a refurbished one. However, we're talking completely reviewed products. In my personal opinion, these would at least be as good as a brand new one.

Also, we can organise the replacement, but we'll never know upfront at that point which TV will be issued. I happens that for some models we no longer have a replacement, and then we'll propose an alternative model.

profile.country.IE.title
amiteshpurwar
New

Is there any cost that company charges during replacement (if alternative model is being proposed from company)?

profile.country.GB.title
Andy17784

They have done the same to me my Bravia broke down after 10 month they messed me around for weeks then DBS came and took the tv I was left with no tv for 5 weeks due to Christmas period. The replacement tv (which I believed to be new) broke after 2 weeks.. I’ve now been told I’m getting a different model which I was told is factory certified to new which I’m guessing is second hand??

its a terrible way to treat your customers this tv only comes with a 3 month warranty so when this one goes I’ll be out of pocket!! 

you pay best part of grand for a tv from Somy they should be giving you a brand new tv and 12 month warranty with it.. 

it’s safe to say this is a recurring theme with Sony televisions  and they seem to only have a 12month life span,

safe to say I’ll not be buying another Somy Tv