Join now - be part of our community!

USING MY TV TO SHOW PHOTOS.

profile.country.en_GB.title
NEWUSER
Visitor

USING MY TV TO SHOW PHOTOS.

USING MY TV TO SHOW PHOTOGRAPHS.

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A SONY BRAVIA TV WHICH I NOW FIND REQUIRES A DONGLE IN ORDER TO BE PART OF MY HOME PC NETWORK. WILL A NETGEAR ADAPTOR,CURRENTLY IN USE WITH MY PC'S, WORK INSTEAD?

8 REPLIES 8
briansg
Visitor

You will need an expensive dongle if you want to use a wireless network but my KDL EX403 has a socket for a standard ethernet cable. With this connected to the home network I can show a lot (but not all !) the photographs on my computer, and also use it with the iPlayerBeta on this model which seems to work very well.  With the correct leads you can also plug a laptop (or other computer) straight in and use the EX403 TV as a monitor.

Also on our TV you can put the pictures on a USB stick and plug that into the USB socket on the TV

I do not know how these facilities vary with the different Bravia models.

kevtina2
Visitor

No it won't sony dont tell you this.  I have just bought one and four days later still can't get it to work . You have been warned !

NEWUSER
Visitor

Many thanks for your response. I don't find anything easy to do with my TV!

NEWUSER
Visitor

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I'll try all you suggested.

Catmambo
Contributor

Just to clarify.

• All BRAVIA's which feature BRAVIA Internet Video/DLNA feature an Ethernet socket which as Briansg quite rightly points out you can simply plug a run of Ethernet cable directly into which will get you online very quickly and easily.
  • If you want, there is an optional wi-fi dongle which you can purchase which allows you to connect wirelessly. Indeed this needs to be the Sony dongle as the hardware does not function like a PC and have a vast library of compatible drivers it can draw upon to ensure compatibility. The Sony dongle features 802.11n to offer vast amounts of bandwidth when streaming video to ensure smooth playback whereas many dongles only offer 802.11g which isn't as good.
  • Alternatively you can use homeplugs/powerline devices or wireless bridges to do a similar role.

Thanks

bowesie77
New

I am using an Ethernet cable to connect to my home network and hence to my PC, what details do I need to enter for the server etc .

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bowesie77

Can you please reply back with the model of your TV - as it would help in order to assist you.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Scoey.
Explorer

Sony seem to want it impossible to show photos on their TV’s unless you use a Sony camera. We had no trouble showing photos and videos on our Panasonic TV