Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
c5cha7
Visitor

Why won't my drive burn CD's Correctly anymore?
And when i try and burn to DVD+R's 8GB i always get this
weird error (DVD is protected) yet my friends PCs can burn to
them easily without any problems?

For example i have burnt 5 Cd's (same tracks, different burn method)
Yet they always jitter/skip halfway through playing...

As for Nero, it won't even attempt to burn correctly anymore,
the buffer will always stay at 0% yet my burn will state "successful".

Tried finding an appropriate update for my drive but
with no luck. [SONY DVD RW DW-Q58A].

This sucks really bad as i have tried everything,
i don't wanna send my laptop back because knowing what they did
last time they'll just format my laptop send it back and
replace the drive (but why the format? it isn't necessary...)

chalkman
Visitor

Hi, really hope someone can help..

My Sony Vaio PCG-7L1M cd/dvd drive has decided to just read dvds and not cds anymore..

I've system restored etc, but still no joy.

Would really appreciate any advice!

txia
Visitor

Hi everybody

I'm desperate with my matshita UJ 850S recorder!!!!! I've got a FE31H 5 months old, and in the beginning could burn CD an DVD, but now cannot burn a DVD anymore.
I tried with all tips I read here, and it's possible to burn cd but no DVD.
I tried with different brands, -R, +R, RW, Verbatin, Sony, Imation.. nothing, the "power calibration error" again and again.....

Any suggestion please, please :slight_frown:

amers
Visitor

What are the chances of having to replace the drive? I've read drives don't last that long on laptops - I bought mine in Sept 2005 and it has stopped working a week before my wedding as I am trying to load cds to make some playlists. It is very annoying - how long would a fix take if anything you have suggested doesn't work - and does the fact that you have posted this thread suggest there is a general problem?
Thanks

fairplay
Visitor

thanks for this information - I all did - restore etc. but the thing doesn^t work and Sony doesn't give response on the questions - so I'am not anymore that big fan of Sony :slight_frown:

AdrianoF
Visitor

Hi everybody!

I've been reading all the threads and I have a similar problem with my dvd drive.
One of these days I noticed that tere wasn´t any dvd drive in my computer, I tried to read a dvd and it didn´t work, after looking in all the places I coulde imagine, I didn´t find the drivers for my dvd drive (DVD-RW Pioneer K17).

Could you help my find them?or find a solution for my problem?I read that one of you had this problem due to a disconnection of the the drive after some use, the laptop didn´t left home yet, I´ve been very carefull, but one of these days when I was opening it, it slided and hit the table with some strength, could it be from this?

I aprecciate all the help I can get.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi AdrianoF,

Have you tried Blencogo's suggestion?

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AdrianoF
Visitor

Hi, it says that the configuration definitions are incomplete or danified in the registry (code 19).

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi AdrianoF,

You need to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, see MS kb314060 and follow the Manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters.. :slight_smile:

AdrianoF
Visitor

Thanks...I´m going to try that...