Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
demon.id
Visitor

Hi Everyboday! I have a VGN-FW21Z running on Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 with latest updates. My problem is that my optical drive (Matshita UJ230AS) disappears from system without any error. When i scan for hardware changes, Vista finds it again, installs correctly, using it, but after some time it disappears again. Anyone knows a solution for this problem?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

vishnekhe
Visitor

Hi, I have a sony vaio NS11Z laptop that I purchased a week ago. I tried creating the recovery disc using VAIO Recovery Center, however the process stops at 22% or 14%. The error message was " Could not create recovery discs ".

I have tried many times and it has failed. Since the recovery discs are very important, please help me.

profile.country.en_IE.title
hicassi
Visitor

Hi there
I have a vaio VGN-CR21Z/R and am having problems with my DVD-RW drive (a pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17 ATA device). It was working perfectly until my computer automatically updated via the vaio website. Suddenly my DVD drive no longer works, the drive is no longer detectable on my computer, if I insert a DVD or cd it will not read the disc. I have reported this problem but no updates or solutions are available. Diagnostics say the driver installed is the most up to date driver, I do not have the option of rolling back to a previous version. Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 19. I have tried to uninstall the driver and download an alternative driver but this doesn't work. I'm at my wits end, nothing I've tried is working. Any suggestions?
Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi cassiha,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

The following guide below should hopefully fix the problem..

It would be wise to back up your registry first, here is a GUIDE

Manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems
Warning other problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:

First open the registry editor..

Press the windows key and the R key to open the Run box.

Then type Regedit in to the Run Box then click OK..

Press continue on the UAC window and the registry editor should open..

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

Restart your Vaio.

or

alternatively save the CD Gone registry fix (attached below) to your hard drive and then double click to run..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi, I have a sony vaio NS11Z laptop that I purchased a week ago. I tried creating the recovery disc using VAIO Recovery Center, however the process stops at 22% or 14%. The error message was " Could not create recovery discs  ". 

I have tried many times and it has failed. Since the recovery discs are very important, please help me.

Hi vishnekhe,

Do you get any error codes with the " Could not create recovery discs " message.?

What make of media are you using to create your recovery disc's./

Try using a different brand something like Verbatim, TDK or Sony DVD+R discs..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi dyn2008,

What model Vaio do you have.?

NoCanDo
Visitor

Hi there

If you have a QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 READ THIS it might offer some answers to your questions.

Take Care

NoCa :devil: nDo

Hi there

I've had my Vaio VGN-BX51XP for nearly a year and have been generally pleased. However, one problem exists:

The CD/DVD writer is a QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 (VGP-DRWBX2)and it will not recognise a Microsoft HUP Office Enterprise 2007 DVD-ROM disc (genuine, supplied by Microsoft)(Note: this disc will work without issue in a different PC). It sounds as though the CD/DVD is trying to access the disc at first but then it continues to do this and the ONLY way to stop it is to eject the disc. Using My Computer to try and access the disc locks up the PC.

The unit will recognise other CDs/play DVDs, has written a new set of recovery discs. A complete recovery has been undertaken - as advised by yourselves and still no joy.

E-mail to Microsoft has suggested they do not support this drive (sorry cannot find e-mail).

Am unable to locate any firmware/software updates.

I have also trawled through the forum thread:

"IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>
Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the"

but am unable to find any solution.

Your suggestions would be welcommed as it is getting a little frustrating - NoCanDo

[15-Jan-2009 14:21:06] [Link]

NoCanDo
VAIO-newbie

Re: CD/DVD QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 Problems Reply to this Post

[Delete this Post]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi have received e-mail from Microsoft regarding their product's compatability with the QSI drive:

"We can confirm that we have investigated the issue and unfortunately
certain DVD-drives are not compatible with the media. We would advise
you to connect your computer to an external DVD drive and install Office
2007 from there. We would also suggest to copy a back up file onto your
computer then to enable you to start the installation from your computer
directly should this become necessary at a later date.

We do understand that this may lead to some frustration at this time and
apologise accordingly for it, but those compatibility issues are an
exception and therefore we are unable to change the media type for
Office Enterprise 2007 as it works perfectly with all other known
drives." (Extract taken from e-mail received today from "HUPVALUE@msdirectservices.com"

Looks like I'll have to progress this further with Sony.

Watch this space!

NoCanDo

The CD/DVD writer is a QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 (VGP-DRWBX2)and it will not recognise a Microsoft HUP Office Enterprise 2007 DVD-ROM disc (genuine, supplied by Microsoft)(Note: this disc will work without issue in a different PC). It sounds as though the CD/DVD is trying to access the disc at first but then it continues to do this and the ONLY way to stop it is to eject the disc. Using My Computer to try and access the disc locks up the PC.

The unit will recognise other CDs/play DVDs, has written a new set of recovery discs. A complete recovery has been undertaken - as advised by yourselves and still no joy.

E-mail to Microsoft has suggested they do not support this drive (sorry cannot find e-mail).

[16-Jan-2009 16:55:30] [Link]

NoCanDo
VAIO-newbie

Re: CD/DVD QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 Problems Reply to this Post

[Delete this Post]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No joy - with Sony!

Staff did not ring me back - I've had to ring for updates.

Updates are always the same - there is a compatability issue between the disc drive and the Microsoft disc. Even though there is nothing wrong with either the disc or the drive Sony will NOT do anything to assist quote:

"Nothing you can do for me."

The ONLY solutions offered by sony are:
Get back to Microsoft and find where the software can be downloaded from (with the possibility of download cost if download limits are exceeded).
Use another PC a DELL or a TOSHIBA or an HP or and ASUS for example (not a sony obviously), and copy the data to another disc and install from that.

The solutions offered by Microsoft are:
Obtain a stand alone DVD drive and install from there.

I do not believe that the support offered for the failure to read a disc by the DVD drive has been sufficiently remedied - in fact no remedy at all!

If I hear anymore I will post that too!

Take care with your disc drive!

ellankih
Visitor

Hi Hartley07 and welcome.

Try the solution mentioned earlier in this thread - I dont know if it will work for Code 37 but it's worth a try.

A small Registry edit will fix your problem. Be careful and don't change anything else while you are in the Registry.

1.Click Start > Run and type REGEDIT and hit enter.

2. Navigate to –

and highlight it. Then locate UpperFilters in the right hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software – but not necessarily.

Welcome to Club Vaio and Good Luck !

:wink:

HI Blencogo,
I have tried the regedit before once my DVD rom wasnt able to burn dvds. Then the prob was solved. Noe again I got same prob. I have tryied to do the same solution. But now couldnt find the upper and lower limts on righthand side. Please help me.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ellankih,

have you tried downloading the CDgone.reg fix from the post above (Click HERE ).?

Once downloaded follow the instructions to run..

JoeMs
Visitor

My matshita bd-mlt uj-220s ata Bluray drive does not work and in the device manager i get this message

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Here is a screenshot: