Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Obbie,

You may find this KB314060 of interest..

obbie
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus - Ihave followed these instructions & my drive is now available. Any idea what causes this error to ocur, as the driver is obviously not corrupted as it now works OK

cheers

obbie
:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome obbie.. :slight_smile:

The reason the problem occurred is usually due to a burning program being removed but I guess it could be any number of reasons.. :thinking:

quantumfly
Visitor

I had no end of problems with the Pioneer DVR-K12D drive on my PCG-K215B. It worked for a good couple of years on and off then almost totally died. The only thing it could read was CD-Rs and pre-recorded DVDs. I even had to make my own recovery CDs from the recovery DVD 'cos it couldn't read the latter!
Anyhow I got bored of Sony Support, who told me recover the system even though I'd told them that I'd already done so (do they listen?), and I fixed it myself. I bought a reconditioned drive for about £100 from an online store in the States. Bought a service manual from eBay and some micro screwdrivers from Maplins. It was a bit scary taking my baby apart, but I went slow, noted where all the screws came from and made sure I was well grounded to the unit. As a bonus I got to clean out two years worth of dust which made it run 10 times better (and quieter).

If anyone wants any advice on doing it just ask.

fravannini
Visitor

My error,in a vaio VGN-N21 S/w, is:Impossible to load the driver for this hardware. The driver may be damaged or absent. (Code 39).I tried to install the new firmware but it say no device found or no administrator right to process.
Thank you for your help

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi fravannini

Welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Have a look at KB314060 for a solution to resolve the problem..

Venta3
Visitor

Hello, I have a brand new FE41M and the DVD/CD player doesn't read any of my purchased software programs, except my Microsoft office. I was thinking it could perhaps be related to Windows Vista. As my computer is under garantie, should I send it back? What do you think?
Venta3

mike_stuart
Visitor

Anyway... enough of a rant! If anyone can help, I will be extremely grateful.

Hi Mike,

If you look back through this thread you will find a simple solution to a Code 39 error.

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=39917

:wink:

It's been a while since I last posted but the method detailed on that link (using REGEDIT) didn't work, so I'm going to have a look at KB314060 for a solution, if not I'll have to phone up Sony Support again and get it sent off to get properly looked at. Warranty expires in October so I need to start thinking about getting it sorted properly.

caloira
Visitor

Hi, I have a similar problem to Venta´s: I´ve a new VGN-FE41M and my DVD/CD-driver doesn´t work. It doesn´t neither read software nor audio-CDs. It´s not listed under "Computer". The Device-Manager shows a triangle with "!" and Error Code 39 concerning the DVD/CD-driver. Under Vaio Support I couln´t find any solution for my problem. Can anybody help?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi caloira and welcome to the forum.

Have you followed Thalamus's link above?

In essence this refers to CD error codes 19, 31, 32, 37 or 39

If Device Manager is reporting an error code of 19, 31, 32, 37 or 39 then it is probably a registry problem. I recommend that you backup your registry before proceeding, have a look here if you are unfamiliar with this.

Then:

1.Click Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter.

2. Navigate to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and locate UpperFilters, (if available) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if available) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software – but not necessarily.

EDIT: Just realized that your machine is running under Vista. You therefore need to type 'Regedit' into the search area after clicking the Start pebble...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat