Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
Scribbler59
Visitor

I'd appreciate if Someone could please help me!

I recently bought a VAIO VGN-FE41Z. I've been trying to create a recovery disc (as I'm supposed to do in case of problems). I click START, ALL PROGRAMS, VAIO Recovery Tool, and VAIO Recovery Utility. The User Account Control window appears. I click Continue. I select Create Recovery Media Kit and OK

and then I get "Cannot find the CD or DVD recorder. The recorder may be in use. Check your recorder then restart the VAIO Recovery Utility."

Needless to say, my CD/DVD is not in use. I've tested the drive and I can read a CD, no problem (I haven't tried a DVD yet 'cause I'm not sure which "DVD zone" I want to use).

I've also downloaded and installed the latest drivers. I still get the same message.

It's getting a little frustrating, especially since I've eventually come to the advice that I should run my recovery disc. I'd be very happy to do so IF I could create one.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Scribbler

Scribbler59
Visitor

... sorry, one more thing, if I click Computer, Yes, I can see the DVD/RW Drive E:. That's also not a problem. But why do I continue to get this "Cannot find the CD or DVD recorder. The recorder may be in use. Check your recorder then restart the VAIO Recovery Utility." message?

Thanks!

Scribbler

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Scribbler59,

I have no idea whether a system recovery will solve your problem, but this should be, in my opinion, the first action on receiving a new machine.

You can achieve this without the recovery disks by tapping F10 at boot (when you see the Sony logo) and follow the on-screen instructions. This will access the hidden hard drive recovery partition and restore your machine to “as delivered”.

Be aware that you will lose add data on the C drive as this will be formatted as part of the process….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Scribbler59
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks very much for the information on doing a system recovery. If all else fails I shall give this a try and see if it makes a difference.

I would, however, prefer to first try to find a solution to the fact that under certain circumstances my CD/DVD cannot be found.

Cheers,
Scribbler

Scribbler59
Visitor

Wow, I don't believe this. Spanking new VAIO laptop and I can't even perform the first most important step. I submitted a case to Sony e-support and I can't even get them to acknowledge receipt of my case submission, much less respond to it.

I'd appreciate if Someone could please help me! 

I recently bought a VAIO VGN-FE41Z. I've been trying to create a recovery disc (as I'm supposed to do in case of problems). I click START, ALL PROGRAMS, VAIO Recovery Tool, and VAIO Recovery Utility. The User Account Control window appears. I click Continue. I select Create Recovery Media Kit and OK

and then I get "Cannot find the CD or DVD recorder. The recorder may be in use. Check your recorder then restart the VAIO Recovery Utility."

Needless to say, my CD/DVD is not in use. I've tested the drive and I can read a CD, no problem (I haven't tried a DVD yet 'cause I'm not sure which "DVD zone" I want to use).

I've also downloaded and installed the latest drivers. I still get the same message.

It's getting a little frustrating, especially since I've eventually come to the advice that I should run my recovery disc. I'd be very happy to do so IF I could create one.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Scribbler

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Scribbler59,

You may get a quicker response if you telephone Vaio-Link .. :slight_smile:

sho
Visitor

You write:
1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

I have a VGN-A217M with a Sony DW-D56A drive and PFS1. I can read everything okay - but I can't write to DVD.
Question 1 - Is PFS2 likely to help?
Question 2 - If I download PFS2 from the above site - how do I instal it?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Scribbler59
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus,

I'll give that a try tomorrow (it's after their service hours today).

Hi Scribbler59,

You may get a quicker response if you telephone Vaio-Link .. :slight_smile:

alindobre
Visitor

I'm having some problems with the CD/DVD-RW drive in my Vaio FS315M. For some reason, it is able to write CDs and DVD+RWs, but when it comes to DVD-Rs, it cannot write them any more. When it was a little bit newer, it did write CD-R/RWs, DVD+Rs, DVD-Rs, DVD+RWs and DVD-RWs, also DoubleLayer.

Could the lens be dirty or something?

Do you know where I can get a replacement that is compatible with the model that I have?

Thanks for all the help.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks Thalamus, 

I'll give that a try tomorrow (it's after their service hours today).

You're welcome Scribbler, I hope you get a solution.. :slight_smile: