Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
Starbug
Visitor

The drive only reads CD´s but no DVD´s. I never had such a problem before. . .???

MattWilson
Visitor

Have you ever been able to play DVD's? :thinking:

Starbug
Visitor

Yes! Since one month I have this problem. I think it is a hardware problem so I´ll go to the shop and try to exchange it. . .

Vista was the operating system - now I have reinstalled XP Home. I think this is not the problem, because it has to work under XP too.

MattWilson
Visitor

Yeah, take it back and get a new one then you don't have to worry about it.

:slight_smile:

Starbug
Visitor

Yes "Matt", the person at the shop also said it seems to be damaged, so I might get a new one.

profile.country.en_GB.title
sanicho73
Visitor

Hello there - I have been using Sony Vaios for years BUT.never been able to backup .. please please can someone tell me the correct type of cd or dvd to buy to backup my files onto on my PCG-GRT716S (a bit old but still fine) - cd/dvd hardware has 'DVD R/RW' on it and 'Compact Disc rewritable high speed' and 'DVD +rewritable'. It appears to ne a SONY DVD RW DW-U50A. I now have lots of photos (yep - taken on a sony) and need to back them up. Also - any help on how to link by pcg with my VGN-TX2XP with i-link (since bluetooth wont work) would be most helpful !

andywhitehurst
Visitor

Here's one for you.

My DVD-RAM drive (Matshita UJ-850s) will not play or burn audio cds. Non-audio cds are fine. DVD reading and burning is fine. There is no error code in device manager, Windows Vista thinks it's working fine. The driver and the firmware are both up to date. Help!

Andrew

motoxxx
Visitor

i have problem whit my matshita dvd-ram uj-850s (notebook model vgn ar-21m)
i cant see the content of dvd create whit the same notebook.... but if i use my desktop the dvd work!

original program-games and other start immediately.....
i dont think its the dvd quality because im using SONY DVD-R ACCUCORE..... :cry: :cry:

sry for my poor english

profile.country.en_GB.title
Tiggerssprings
Visitor

Am having a problem with my dvd rewriter to, I have a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-k15 have looked on viao website for updates but there are none, whenever I put a blank dvdr or dvdrw it does not recognise it as a dvd it says it is a cd. I am at my wits end as I have tried all the updates on the vaio website, anyone got any ideas and help is grately appreciated.

Jolene

MattWilson
Visitor

Hello there - I have been using Sony Vaios for years BUT.never been able to backup .. please please can someone tell me the correct type of cd or dvd to buy to backup my files onto on my PCG-GRT716S (a bit old but still fine) - cd/dvd hardware has 'DVD R/RW' on it and 'Compact Disc rewritable high speed' and 'DVD +rewritable'. It appears to ne a SONY DVD RW DW-U50A. I now have lots of photos (yep - taken on a sony) and need to back them up. Also - any help on how to link by pcg with my VGN-TX2XP with i-link (since bluetooth wont work) would be most helpful !

Welcome to ClubVAIO sarahNich :slight_smile:

I presume that you are using XP.

For backups to CD:

Select Files to the value of 700MB and right-click -> send to ... "Your CD drive"

Then navigate to the drive "E:\" or whatever yours is and on the left plane click burn.

For backup to DVD:

You need a 3rd party program such as Nero and follow the instructions to add files to a data DVD.

Other method that you may consider is backup to external hard drive:

You can buy external hard drives for about £50 and they can be used in the same way a USB memory stick can be except it has alot more memory.

:slight_smile: