Join now - be part of our community!

Missing album covers on new Sony A15 Walkman

seranil
New

Missing album covers on new Sony A15 Walkman

I am using a mac so can't use MediaGo. Any ideas for a easy solution to this problem. Thanks

39 REPLIES 39
chbundh

Well, I also have a large collection of music; there's hardly anything to do to convert all album art to JPEG, using software such as JRiver Media Center. It's just an option in the Library Settings. 

I had my suggested UI changes noted down—I'll check later and post back.

Can you clarify how to convert album art in JRiver Media Center to JPEG? I have over 14000 songs, all with album art embedded in the ID3, but nearly half of my library is "missing" album art on my NWZ-A15 because it's not the right JPEG format.

Additionally, I manually converted a handful of album art files to baseline JPEG, but my Walkman still doesn't want to show them. I have no idea what the problem could be.

chbundh

Sorry, I thought there was a quick way of converting all, but it appears not. What you may have to do is clear all the album covers from the library (select all—right-click: Cover art—Remove Cover Art), and get JRiver to find images (I believe it then saves jpegs).

First check your cover art settings: Tools—Options—File Location... under Cover Art menu, make sure the box is ticked for 'Also store image in the file's tag'.

Regarding the ones you've already converted: what audio format are they? In the event that they're WAV (I presume not since you have a large collection), images cannot be embedded. Otherwise, try right-click: Library Tools—Update Tags (from library). Then delete the tracks from the Walkman (Sony's own software is quick & clear for this) and redo the transfer. 

With the Walkman connected, you can set up JRiver sync and transfer options for the individual device under Drives & Devices or Tools—Options—Handheld. I find this very useful, as I store almost everything as AIFF on an external hard drive, but anything dragged to the Walkman will automatically transfer as FLAC to save space.

I hope this helps...

Thanks for the reply! Your input is really appreciated. The song files for which the album art was converted and still isn't showing up are all MP3s. What might make my situation unique is that all the editing I'm doing is being saved directly to my Walkman - I copied my music from my external HD to the Walkman (all just drag and drop in Finder). Since I've started using JRiver, some of the changes I've made to album art have saved properly - primarily, copying album art from Google and pasting from the clipboard; once I've made any changes, I can see the "Updating tags" notice at the bottom of the window. But perhaps making changes directly to the device is part of the problem? This wouldn't make any sense to me, but then the fact that some baseline jpeg cover art isn't showing up doesn't make much sense either. I've tried using JRiver to find album art, but the images it saves to the tag aren't showing up on my Walkman, leading me to believe that it is not specific in searching for baseline jpegs. For now, it sounds like the only solution is to live with having some albums without cover art.
chbundh

No Problem! While I haven't needed to drag & drop with the A15, I had tried that with an earlier model and phone, and I don't think I could get all artwork to show. I have found allcdcovers.com to be a good source of reliable, decent-quality album art. I agree: it's annoying to see the 'W' logo instead of an album cover.

profile.country.GB.title
keithmanaton

If you're a Mac user; you can use Dapper to organise your file transfer, especially useful with the new split disc Walkmans, A15, ZX100 etc. Use definition A15. The if you download and add Kid3 to the application folder Dapper (choose embed from the Utilities menu) will use it to embed all your iTunes artwork in the music files.

profile.country.GB.title
keithmanaton

The other APP - or Script - is Doug's Scripts:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=reembedartwork

This works similar to the Dapper/Kid3 combo. Save in your iTunes Library folder, you'll probably have to creat a Scripts folder. Select the ablum you want to embed and double click on the Doug's Script icon and it's done!

When you first launch the Script it might automatically go through your whole library! It did for me. Problems solved. Not a bad thing!

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

Interesting! How did you find out this fact?

profile.country.GB.title
keithmanaton

was that question for me?

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

No, sorry, I clicked Reply on racingjunior's post - the forum software seems to be rubbish in this regard!

I wanted to know how he found out that the Walkman firmware cannot handless progressive JPEGs, as this information is not in the user guide or online help guide.