Join now - be part of our community!

Transfer of Old Tapes to a Computer

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Milngavie23
Visitor

Transfer of Old Tapes to a Computer

Hi,

I have just acquired a Sony TCM-939 Cassette Recorder and Player for aspecific reason.  I have been told thatI can use it to transfer old Audio Tapes to my computer, but I have no idea as to how to go about this !  My computer is an iMac running on OS X  10.6.8 and has iTunes as standard. 

I would be much obliged if anyone can give me the simplest  information as to how to do this.

Message was edited by: Milngavie23

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_IE.title
murfinsurfin
Visitor

Only a newbie, so it was when I was searching for a place to donate my old tapes I found this. Anyway the answer is fairly simple, download the free open source 'Audacity' programme, it covers all platforms. You require a plug to plug earphone lead, easy to get. Plug your lead into the headset socket on your player, and hit record on Audacity & play on your player, that simple. This will do a simple transfer of the audio to digital, but keeps it as one piece. To seperate the tracks, you need to watch the player, switch off when track is complete, save, then repeat for next track, etc.

There are numerous tutorials on Youtube.

I am transferring from my Sony Micro HIFI unit, the quality of the tapes, some going back to 1970, is excellent in most cases. In my case, I transfer them to CD, & I have all my collection now on digital format.

Best of luck.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_IE.title
murfinsurfin
Visitor

Only a newbie, so it was when I was searching for a place to donate my old tapes I found this. Anyway the answer is fairly simple, download the free open source 'Audacity' programme, it covers all platforms. You require a plug to plug earphone lead, easy to get. Plug your lead into the headset socket on your player, and hit record on Audacity & play on your player, that simple. This will do a simple transfer of the audio to digital, but keeps it as one piece. To seperate the tracks, you need to watch the player, switch off when track is complete, save, then repeat for next track, etc.

There are numerous tutorials on Youtube.

I am transferring from my Sony Micro HIFI unit, the quality of the tapes, some going back to 1970, is excellent in most cases. In my case, I transfer them to CD, & I have all my collection now on digital format.

Best of luck.