Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000X audio not in sync with video

profile.country.GB.title
Timberflake1983
New

WF-1000X audio not in sync with video

So I'm now on my 2nd pair of WF-1000X's. Had a problem with my first pair which I posed here https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/portable-audio/wf-1000x-ding-ding/td-p/2414798 but fixed the main issue by turning the ambiant aware off.

However, I couldn't work out what was causing the audio to be out of sync with video when watching YouTube, Netflix, etc. so returned them and got new pair.

The 2nd pair have no problems with dropouts, however, audio is still out of sync and I think I've worked out why. If I just connect the left earbud there's no problem, but as soon as you connect the right earbud the audio starts going our of sync so I'm assuming its the way the two earbuds are talking to eachother.

Is there any way to rectify this or am I just going to have to cut my losses and get my money back??

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Timberflake1983, 

Welcome to the community. 

That seems strange. It might be best to contact Sony Support about this here, to see what they suggest. 

Please do let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
snicholls1977
Explorer

This is a known issue with Bluetooth headphones as a rule.  I have a number of brands (Bose, Savfy, Apple, Sony)  and all have this issue to some degree.  

The issue where the sound of the headphones is slightly behind the image on the Phone, Tablet or TV is caused by the latency of the headphones (the time it takes to transmit sound via a wireless signal).

Latency occurs in all wireless headphones however the technology being used to create the wireless signal does affect how much latency is caused.  This is where larger over head versions can fair better as they can have more hardware to manage this.

The phone, tablet, or tv, that the headphones are connected to will also affect this issue and could make the inherent latency more obvious. For example if a TV outputs sound to it's own speakers slightly faster than it outputs sound to the audio output jacks that the headphones are connected to then that would mean that there is a delay in the audio getting to the headphones on top of the latency of the headphones so the difference between audio and image would be more obvious.  This can also be the case on phones between headphone jack and wireless connections. Also different phones and brands manage this in various ways with varying results.

To overcome latency issues sometimes the phone, tv or video player app that the headphones are connected into will have a latency adjustment (VLC Viewer has this for example - https://aboutdevice.com/how-to-fix-audio-and-video-out-of-sync-in-vlc-media-player-android/ ) which can be used to adjust the audio timing to match up with the headphones with the picture. I find around -500ms is ok for the WF-1000X, whereas Apple is around -300ms and others -1200ms. If the phone or app does not have a latency adjustment then a second option is to stick with one ear (i.e. Left bud on Sony) or use wired headphones ( the additional latency on the WF-1000X when you add the right bud is due to the passing of information on from the phone to the left ear and through to the right ear, still very fixable in VLC, but not Netflix etc.  When watching netflix or YouTube I tend to go for my neck band headphones. WI-1000X. the latency on these seems to be v small, around -80ms which is nearly impossible to notice.

profile.country.GB.title
Timberflake1983
New

Firstly this isn't a problem with all wireless headphones. I don't have this problem with my Soundmagic e10BT, my Jaybird Runs or my Sony WH1000X.

Secondly, a lot of people watch media on their devices now, so imo it's completely unacceptable for Sony to release a product at a premium price point that lags this badly. It shouldn't be down to the device sending the audio signal to account for this,if I'm paying £200 on headphones I expect it to just work

profile.country.CZ.title
sKorayCz
New

I agree with you and I would like to make an addition. 

It happens only when both earphones are enabled. When only left one is connected, there is no problem. 

I have this problem only on my Huawei mate 20 pro. On my Xiaomi Mi6 I have no problem with the headphones even both are connected/enabled. 

I have sound core and Samsung wireless earbuds, too. İ have no issues about delays with them. 

So whatever related to interference and the fact that 500ms delay is ok, is completely irrelevant and not true..