Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

I have KD-65XF9005 still on Android 7, it says theres no update, I didn't really want to update manually, however if anyone from the UK can confirm oreo is working fine on this model I may upgrade, are there any major differences from 7- 8, is it really worth the upgrade if everythings working fine?

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Hi
I had the XF9005 when Oreo first came out. I didn't have any problems after
manually updating it ( had plenty of other problems but not related to Oreo
!).
profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

So did I, I manually upgraded and at random when tv was off the android logo would flash up, also 80% of the time the tv wouldn't power on unless it was turned off at the socket, as the tv was only 3 weeks old it was exchanged by the shop, so it's run Android 7 since. If theres no real changes it's not worth the hassle.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Yep I had those problems with XF model too. No difference after I updated
to Oreo. So it shouldn't make anything worse and it's a better experience I
think.

I managed to get Sony to swap for the XG9005 after 18 months of complaining
and it has been fine, apart from one random reboot in the 5 months since I
had it. I'm thinking that the processor in the XF9005 is underpowered for
AndroidTV and the Ultimate processor in the XG simply copes better with all
the processing overhead.
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

XG90 and XF90 spot the same Mediatek chip to power Android TV....

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Yes,I typed badly, I previously had XE9005, not XF
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I upgraded several months ago and have zero problems with our xf. I did a factory reset after the upgrade but not sure if it was needed. I prefer oreo, not sure if it's faster as had followed some tips anyway eg limit background tasks. I dont use youview but use on board netflix, prime and play movies for HD and 4k content

profile.country.GB.title
smudger75

Wish I'd read this thread before I updated my 75xf9005 to the latest firmware a few weeks ago, was happily watching mkv movies via the video app since buying the TV last year and then after firmware update the movies freeze around 40-50 minutes in and then nothing is playable until I unplug the TV, then it will play for another 40 mins.

Contacted Sony support and told them I have updated the firmware and I believed it to be software related but they sent an engineer round and the engineers took my TV away and they have now had it for nearly 3 weeks.

When I contact the repair company they tell me they are waiting on a response from Sony to something, when I contact Sony support who are based in Egypt they just tell me they know nothing and for me to contact the repair company.

Surely getting on for 3 weeks now is getting a bit ridiculous, I can't even find out what's happening to my TV and when I'll get it back and sony support don't seem interested.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

I had a sound issue after the update so raised a support call and  they were pretty responsive so you could try  logging a case. I'm not sure which country you are in  but you should look up the phone number for the Sony office in your country and call them 3 weeks is way to long for them to  still have your tv. if they couldn't fix it they should have replaced it.  However they should have been able to just  flash the firmware with the release version straight away

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

I don't understand why they don't allow the user to downgrade the firmware.