Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

10th December this will be available on uhd and hdr on Sony 2017 models. 

Did anyone hear of a plan to introduce the  BBC hdr to older Sony models? I believe they are using a different type of hdr than currently installed on the 2015 /2016 models. 

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

SonyUK support posted a number of tweets today suggesting support was coming soon for all the 2017 Android TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
jimandjane116

So what is stopping us getting it?
profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

The cynics among us could view those tweets as FUD to pacify the complainers...

However fingers cross that "near future" means before bbc stop showing blue planet :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

Must admit when i heard soon, thought  there is not long left to do anything with this......

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Looks like no Sony Android tvs will play these episodes.  What a pity!!

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

I am assuming the 4K message is shown on sets supporting it as cannot access screen info when on iplayer.

BTW has anyone tried it on the Nvidia shield as nearly all apps work on 4K with this android box.

profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

I had a quick search for shield support but came up blank.

Could a sheild version of iplayer can be sideloaded on a sony TV?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Sony are doing an awful lot of back tracking on twitter today suggesting first updates were coming soon to now investigating and no longer sure.

You couldn't make this up.

profile.country.GB.title
maharri9651
Explorer

Interesting note, there's an article on pocket lint stating that the SkyQ wont use HLG, so it does look like the problem is with something other than HLG support on the android sets.

This is looking like a rather big cockup for Sony though, with 2015 Panasonic sets compatible. The finger pointing between the beeb an Sony doesn't help either.

Robbimac
New

That's not quite right.

Sky have confirmed they're looking into delivering HDR, but haven't committed to anything yet.

A BBC tech paper explained that both Dolby Vision and HDR10 can't reliably be broadcast live, which is why they've been testing HLG. I suspect Sky are doing the same as they would no doubt need a solution so they can broadcast sports live with HDR. At the moment HLG seems the only path forward.

To reply to the main thread - I'm livid at Sony.

I bought the 65XE9305 which, at £2.5k is a signifcant purchase and so far they've been very quiet on providing the Dolby Vision update that was promised, and now this.

Sony, why can't you better communicate to your customers? It's appalling how little regard you seem to hold us.

I could have kept my old Panasonic HDR set as that worked perfectly with the iPlayer HDR test.

Can anyone here really imagine Sony will be getting out firmware updates before Blue Planet UHD drops off iPlayer? I'm an optimist by heart, but have very little faith.

I wonder if I would be eligble to return my TV (as much as I love the picture) if Sony don't keep their promises?

SORT IT OUT.