Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

10th December this will be available on uhd and hdr on Sony 2017 models. 

Did anyone hear of a plan to introduce the  BBC hdr to older Sony models? I believe they are using a different type of hdr than currently installed on the 2015 /2016 models. 

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

They’ve definitely taken notice as they’ve pulled the page from 2016!

7A00E164-0EF4-43E0-84D2-B49FB5937731.png0CE4FDC2-6044-4442-8DEF-74317851F920.png

Tags (5)
profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

Had this back from support:

"Please note that we do not currently have a time frame for when your TV will support this BBC 4K content, we can confirm that it will be available on your TV, but not sure of when.
The order by which this content was enabled by is not something that we can discuss as we do not have enough information as Sony technical support team, but we can confirm that we are doing our best to make it available as soon as possible."

profile.country.GB.title
PClement15
Explorer

I got the following disapointingly dismissive response from Sony "support" last week...

Thank you for contacting Sony support. 

Regarding your Sony KD-43XE8396.

We are sorry to inform you that your model is not compatible with Blue Planet II in 4K on BBC iPlayer as per the link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

profile.country.GB.title
PClement15
Explorer

Bbc iplayer support offered a little more hope...

"Blue Planet II has been developed in UHD as a trial to help make sure audiences can enjoy the next generation of high quality TV in the future. However, it’s still very much a work in progress, and we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible.

We’re aware that some devices are not currently on the supported devices list.

If we are able to add any new devices to this trial we’ll update the list of devices on the BBC iPlayer FAQ page:"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

profile.country.GB.title
Sofabear
New

See below for the two pretty disappointing replies I got from Sony this week. 

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony v and BBC iPlayer’s Blue planet II, Please note that this service will be supported in the future after an upcoming software update, however, unfortunately the release date is not yet announced.

Furthermore, you may follow the updates in the below TV support page:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-49xe9005

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,
Nermine

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

Gaser

Thank you for your reply. It doesn’t however answer my question. Firstly can you tell me when my TV will be upgraded to support IPlayer UHD? Will it be before the 16th Jan?

Secondly, you seem to suggest that it is up to the BBC to decide which of your models will support their content. This is not the case and it is up to Sony to ensure the firmware is updated. It is quite telling that your TVs running YouView can support, but those running Android cannot. Panansonic and Toshiba both seem to have been able to update their firmware in time for this development.

Regards

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
In reference to enquiry about your Sony KD-49XE9005, we are sorry to learn that you are not able to get Blue Planet II on your TV.
We would like to confirm that the release from BBC was for specific models which your TV is not included in.
However we can confirm that in the future your TV will be supported, so always keep the TV software up to update.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,
Gaser

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

They've been caught sleeping on the job with this, 12 months they've know about it.

maxshaw99
Explorer

having spent £4000 on a KD65-A1, which is "supposedly" the top of the range model with all the latest and greatest Sony has to offer, not being able to watch something that significanlty lesser brands like Finlux and Hisense can do, is appaling. false economy, if you pay more you should get a product that does it all. I'm at a loss as to why they can't just sort it out.

profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

Absolutely useless, Sony.

I love the FALD screen on my KD49XE9005 but the OS is utter *****e, and I have zero confidence in Sony to resolve this, or any of the other glaring defects that exist between the Sony, Youview and Android TV parts that are jumbled together.

profile.country.GB.title
lotkas
Explorer

It will slow down even further after patch is released for the below
vulnerability, also affecting ARM processors

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

Ha.

That would require sony to patch the OS kernel...

Maybe will happen in 2022?